1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two senior editor jobs, Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffd, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

This happens in all industries. In its heyday Microsoft was famous for talking with small companies and entrepreneurs about acquisitions and then stealing their ideas. Microsoft was so powerful that it forced the small companies to meet without signing confidentiality clauses. I am not suggesting Microsoft stole their concepts completely, but over time you would see variations of the idea appear in Microsoft products.

As for Sporting News, I said in 2010 in this thread that no one should do all the work that Sporting News was asking for without at least a preliminary discussion. I think the outcome, in this one case, proves me right. Print publications, especially newspapers, have been getting away demanding free critiques for years. Critiques are understandable when a person is a finalist for a job based on resume content, reputation and interviews. But soliciting extensive markups and critiques at the start of the process is a bit much.

2. mrbio

mrbio Member

He probably got what he deserved.

Draft saved Draft deleted