1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two senior editor jobs, Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jeffd, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(shaking my head) I'm told, quite reliably, that Jeff D is out as editor-in-chief, circumstances unknown. Not sure how that affects these jobs or this process

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow. That is a shocker. Is he out at TSN totally or just removed from the position?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just found out that Jeff will be around for a little while. He probably won't be the one making a decision on the vacancies. I've been told if you sent something to him, it will get to the proper people.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe Jeff D didn't like the idea of picking job applicants' brains for free ideas to be snagged by TSN whether those folks got hired or not. ;D

5. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Reinforces my original post about doing 2-3 days of "homework" with no promise of even a response. Granted, you do what you have to do, especially if you are new or inexperienced. However in my 30 years of newspapers that was the biggest "homework" assignment I have ever seen.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why would it take 2-3 days to do what they asked?

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Read the requirements. If I were your boss at the Sporting News and asked you to create that plan I'd expect you to spend a couple days on it, at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. beanpole

beanpole Member

You've probably already got your resume and clips handy. If it takes you 2-3 days to come up with a coverage plan for a breaking news story and one great idea for an upcoming issue, you probably don't have what it takes to work there.

9. Joe Williams

How about keeping your coverage plan and your great idea handy, too, so that you can talk about them with the Sporting News editors when they call you up for an initial phone interview? Why just lay it all out in written form and drop it over their transom, never to hear from them again?

It is all fine stuff to talk about with their final list of applicants, but to ask EVERYONE who is mildly interested for their ideas and suggestions seems like casting about for free brainwork.

If these really are "big boy" jobs, then the people they'll be considering won't be complete unknowns. They at least will have credentials, references, resumes, clips/tearsheets, etc. Save the "what can you do for us" specifics for the people who survive the preliminary cutdowns.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I don't think the Sporting News or its deposed editor were trying to get free ideas. I do think it is a very arrogant way to seek applicants. The best people won't jump through those kinds of hoops.

11. Joe Williams

Neither will I. :p

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

The devil is always in the details. Great magazines and great sports sections spend days, weeks, months planning. The winner in the TSN horse race won't cross the finish line first by finishing his "homework" assignment in 45 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted