1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TWO ROY WILLIAMS, ONE TEAM/IR: Safety breaks arm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: TWO ROY WILLIAMS, ONE TEAM - butterfingered receiver traded to Cowboys

Shut it. [/Petty]

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Martin Mayhew replaced Millen? Well, shit, I'm gonna go play Tecmo Super Bowl now. :D

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dunno... Kitna put on IR is an interesting move.. dont think it's good interesting tho...

4. Re: TWO ROY WILLIAMS, ONE TEAM - butterfingered receiver traded to Cowboys

brandon marshall
    greg jennings
    larry fitz
    reggie wayne
    santana moss
    andre johnson
    steve smith
    roddy white
    boldin
    plax

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I'm not willing to say Dallas is out of the playoffs yet. They are 4-2, which isn't making me grin, but it also doesn't make me worried either. Sunday is the Rams. Should be a win. Then the Bucs. Will be tough to beat, but not impossible. Then the Giants. That'll likely be a loss with the injuries. Then (thank God) the bye week. After that, Romo's back, Felix Jones should be back, and Roy Williams should know enough the offense to be effective. That would put Dallas at 6-3 and fairly healthy again, barring anymore setbacks. Does anyone here think 6-3 is a bad thing in the NFC East? I'll take it.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Ask me when they're 6-3.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I'm not saying it's a sure thing. But from what I'm reading on this thread, it's like people think their season is over. It won't be an easy task, but St. Louis sucks, and Tampa Bay doesn't scare me. Hell, the Browns beat the crap out of the Giants on Sunday. So 6-3 is definitely not out of the question.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

You are correct, it is not out of the question.

Then again, neither is 4-5.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a good move; it gets Kitna out of the way so one of the younger QBs -- Orlovsky, Stanton, Henson -- might get a chance to show any sort of minimal NFL ability. Probably none will, so what? Then you cut 'em in the offseason. You might get lucky and find out one of them can play. It's obvious beyond any discussion Kitna is nothing but a mediocrity, and at age 36, a mediocrity in the final death spiral of his career.

It also rips Kitna's "fiery burning leadership" out of the picture, the cult of personality which had been built around him ever since the minute he arrived by Martz, Millen and Marinelli. Kitna very publicly went off the reservation this year, throwing in-game sideline fits against the coaching staff and shooting off his mouth to the media about how he hated the new offense of Jim Colletto and longed for the golden days of Mike Martz.

Kitna certainly may have a point that Colletto is an idiot (IMO he is), but the main attraction of the Martz regime, for him, is that Martz allowed him to throw 70 passes a game, and was perfectly happy if he had five picked, as long as he threw for three TDs and 300 yards (in a 56-24 loss).

The main thing is, with a bad team such as the Lions, you cannot have players, especially "team leaders" and captains, making big public demonstrations they are unhappy with the coaches, regardless of how stupid and incompetent the staff may be (and with Marinelli's incestuous incompetent group of flunkies, that's plenty), because if they get used to doing it with this staff, they'll do it with the next staff too.

Getting rid of Kitna, by whatever process, was a very good thing for the Lions.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stanton...

Ugh.

Another great move.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dallas is not hurting for draft picks – they still have 9 picks in the 2009 draft.

They get their pick back from Tennessee and get to keep the other pick that was going to go to the Titans. They also still have a third-round pick from Cleveland that was part of the 2007 draft-day deal that allowed the Browns to jump up and get Brady Quinn.

So essentially, Williams is their 2009 first-round pick and the Cowboys are off the clock. And they still have a chance for a good draft.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I
    Agreed. The Lions can't keep bringing in guys like J.T. O'Sullivan, Kitna, Garcia, and god knows who else when they have untested players on the bench. They have to answer those questions first. There's no doubt that Stanton can play. He is a pure athlete, he can run and pass. That might however, be the worst thing that can happen to the Lions because Stanton is always hurt.

College
    2003- Blew up his knee returning kicks in the Alamo Bowl vs. Nebraska. Yes, John L. Smith was such a terrible coach, he had his backup quarterback and future starter playing special teams.
    2004- Missed a tremendous amount of the season rehabbing the knee. Didn't even start until late in the season. Damon Dowdell and some other guy who escapes me took starting reps well into Nov. and even started the upset win over No.5 Wisconsin.
    2005- Broke collarbone running the ball against Michigan. Was destroying Michigan on rushing plays, but was getting drilled at the end of them. MSU went on to lose after Stanton was injured.
    2006- Broken Hand/Concussed majorly. Missed time - I think a few games at the end that MSU needed for a bowl. I think they finished 5-7. The broken hand wasn't anything many people knew about. It must have been a hairline fracture, but he had a cast on his non-throwing hand for a week during the season.

PRO Career
    2007- Shoulder injury? Something. Placed on IR.... out for season. Would have been nice to see if he coulda played in December when the season was over. The Lions wouldn't have wasted 4 games on Kitna this year.
    2008- Broken thumb. Hurt his stock as the No.2 QB, may have started last week if not for his thumb. In fact, after the thumb injury he was reactivated, then deactivated for the Chicago game.

Draft saved Draft deleted