1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two rich kids run over guy, kill him, for tip jar money

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 5, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure if you're a parent, Devil, but I'm not going to be as quick to smack around the dad on this one. We have no clear picture of the family dynamics, and if the kid had previously been pretty good, but turned bad because of this girl, it may not necessarily be on the parents.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing gets under my skin more than a kid getting into trouble and the parent trying to deflect the blame away from the kid.

If my daughter steals from the local store, guess what, I will be the first one dragging her ass down to the police station. I won't be saying it was her friends that made her do it.

I may have typed it a little harsh, but understanding the consequences of what you do is very important.

Trust me. I flunked out of my first college, and it was not until then that I finally understood that I alone was responsible for what I did. Now I have a B.A., a B.S. and a Master's. I would have never have gotten them if my mother did not kick me in the ass.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Again, I'm not trying to deflect criticism from the parent...I'm saying it's tough to know from the story whether or not the parent could have or should have done something earlier in life.

Besides, it didn't seem like the dad was trying to deflect criticism. If anything, he's probably still in a bit of shock and doesn't really know what else to say or do. Please, give that aspect a bit of thought. Being a parent is tough.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True.

It would be interesting to see if anyone covered this kid when he pitched high school baseball in Atlanta.

5. And the dad essentially learned about it from the newspaper reporter, so it's not like he's had a lot of time to digest the news and prepare an intelligent response.

I get the sense there's a very interesting story behind these two young people. Suburban Atlanta kid, enrolls and then drops of Jerry Falwell University, goes on roadtrip with girl, steals from stores at least twice...very strange.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why continue to make assumptions about these people when the entire premise this thread is based on has turned out to be incorrect?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

White kids from Atlanta are nuthin but trouble, is all I've got to say.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What premise is that? That they're from the Atlanta area rather than St. Louis?

I hope that's not the premise you're hanging your hat on.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have to rewrite the entire first post for you? Here's what has developed:

1) They're not kids. At least not the one who is charged. He is 19.

2) They're not from St. Louis.

3) There's no indication they have rich parents.

4) The man charged has a prior record.

5) The charged man's father is quoted in the St. Louis Dispatch as saying he told his son that "he has got to be responsible for his actions."

6) The man, who was driving, has been charged with two felonies.

The outrage directed toward these two dopes is fine. But to draw conclusions based on the fact that they're white doesn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted