1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two punches to the heart...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, May 1, 2012.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Through the years, I've always read the many threads on the loss of our beloved pets with a feeling of trepidation, knowing I would eventually be authoring one myself.

In the past two weeks, I've lost my cat of 13 years, Zach, and my dog of 12 years, Rocky.

After I found my mom dead in her bed 14 years ago, Zach and Rocky had always been my "roommates." They made sure I never, ever came home to a cold, dark house.

Tonight, that was no longer the case and I am not ashamed to say the water works were flowing full blast once again.

I never could figure out how a 10-pound cat and a 90-pound German shepherd could get along like brothers, but we, as the supposedly more evolved species, continuously find ways to hurt one another. There are so many lessons we could -- and should -- learn from our furred friends.

I miss my buddies and my heart aches knowing the three of us will never hang out again, Zach behind my head on the couch and Rocky at my feet.

I'm sure Mom was waiting for them.

Thanks for allowing me my time to let it out, friends.

God Bless.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about your pets, Colton.

I've loss four dogs in my lifetime. Never easy.

Take care.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

"When you buy a pet, you know it's going to end badly. You've just purchased a small tragedy."

-George Carlin

The good they bring still makes it all worth it.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sorry, Colton. Your guys were lucky to have such a caring owner.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sorry to hear that, Colton. The importance of pets, especially at certain times of one's life, cannot be overstated. RIP, Zach and Rocky.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

RIP, Zach and Rocky. Take comfort in the great times you had together and know that you did something to better their lives, and they did plenty to better yours.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because SC isn't here to do it herself...

http://petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

RIP to Zach and Rocky. I haven't lost a pet of my own yet, but my obese cat is 11, so it might not be long. It haunts me every day.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry, Colton. Bad times. I lost my cat three years ago (the non-replaceable Sandy, who peed in my toilet and would wake me up by giving me a scratchy-tongued "wet willy"), and still miss him. I was fine for the longest time, then a few months back had a dream I was playing with him again. Awoke happy, then rembered the dream and cried a few tears for my little "monkey-butt."

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your losses, Colton. I can feel the emotion in your post. Sending you many virtual (((( hugs ))))).

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Colton -- I'm so sorry.

RIP, Zach and Rocky.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fuck, that sucks. That story makes me want to cry and punch something.

I can honestly say I'm not sure I'd still be a functioning member of society (ya, I know) had I not had my two dogs around for a certain period of my life.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

So very sorry, Colton. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted