1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two positions, The Sentinel (Carlisle, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Aug 26, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

PM me for info on both.

Listings from the Pennsylvania Newspaper Association jobs board:
    # Sports Editor - The award-winning Sentinel of Carlisle has an immediate opening for a sports editor.
    We're looking for someone who can lead a five-person staff and provide our readers with strong local coverage that focuses on 15 high schools, Penn State football and three local colleges -- Shippensburg University, Dickinson College and Messiah College. We publish seven days a week with sports sections averaging six to seven pages Monday through Saturday and 12 pages on Sunday.
    This position requires someone who can make decisions, communicate well with staff and fellow editors, train and coach reporters, edit copy, and design and layout pages that attract readers. Candidates must show general knowledge of all sports.
    Quark experience is a must. Proficiency in Photoshop and a thorough knowledge of grammar and AP style are expected. Applicants must have, as a minimum, a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience plus at least three years of experience on a daily newspaper of general circulation.
    The Sentinel, with 15,000 circulation daily and Sunday, is a p.m. paper. The sports staff produces its pages in the evening, so night and weekend work is required.
    The Sentinel offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 52 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states. For more information about Lee Enterprises, visit www.lee.net.
    To apply, go to www.cumberlink.com/sentineljobs to submit a resume.
    The Sentinel is a drug free employer. The Sentinel (www.cumberlink.com) and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers.
    8/22/06
    # Sports Writer - The award-winning Sentinel of Carlisle has an immediate opening for a sports writer in its Shippensburg bureau. The reporter will coordinate our Shippensburg Sentinel sports section, producing two- to three-page sports sections twice a week. Duties include layout, writing, editing and some photography. This is your section to develop, so we want someone who can work independently and deliver the sports news Shippensburg readers want from youth sports, high schools and local colleges.
    The right candidate will be able to deliver story ideas, coordinate coverage, develop sources and work well on their own. Quark experience is a plus as well as Photoshop experience. Applicants must have, as a minimum, a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
    The Shippensburg Sentinel publishes every Wednesday and Thursday. Work shifts for the position generally run Monday through Friday, with some Saturday work required based on the sports season. Hours run from late afternoon to evenings depending on page layout and event coverage. The position is also part of our daily five-person sports staff, and the reporter will help with coverage and production at the daily newspaper and coordinate with the sports editor. Our last Shippensburg sports writer has joined the daily staff, so the position provides a good stepping stone to bigger career opportunities.
    The Sentinel, with 15,000 circulation daily and Sunday, is a p.m. newspaper. The Sentinel offers an excellent compensation and benefits package. We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 52 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states.
    For more information about Lee Enterprises, visit www.lee.net. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and clips. To apply, go to www.cumberlink.com/sentineljobs. The Sentinel is a drug free employer. The Sentinel (www.cumberlink.com) and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers.
    8/18/06

2. The Duke

The Duke Member

What happened to Jeff Pratt, the former longtime SE?
    And I assume Toni is gone as well

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Toni wasn't on staff as of late, she was working as a stringer.

With a new executive editor, a lot of folks tied into the Carol Talley regime are departing. Other recent departures besides these include the Shippensburg bureau chief, managing editor and city editor. Two photographers and a photo tech left before the EE change.

4. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Wow. Never thought Pratt would leave that gig. Wicked, any idea if he's staying in the business or trying something new?

5. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I hear they are fleeing the Sentinel like rats off a sinking ship. Word at my daytime gig is we have been flooded with resumes from there.

Not sure if that means the new regime is better or worse, or just different. But it seems to be a trend.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There were two groups of people in that newsroom -- people who were itching for a regime change, and people who knew their careers would be toast once Carol left. At the risk of outing myself more than I already have, most of the flee-ers are part of the second group.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CARLISLE, Pa. (Little Birdie News Service) -- Jeff's staying at the paper in a news-side job, presuming they find someone to fill the SE's gig.

-------

I've seen some situations where guys were working with and for the person they replaced, and they were second-guessed repeatedly and thrown under the bus. Not making any value judgment on Jeff here, but since he's been the SE for a decade, I imagine it's going to be tough to walk in somewhere and try to tweak things when the guy who's stuff you're changing still is around.

8. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

That is an often impossible situation, having the person you're trying to replace still around. I've never seen it work, and I've been around awhile. Oh, it works, but there's usually a lot of second-guessing, micromanaging and so on. I don't know Jeff, but maybe he's the exception.

Draft saved Draft deleted