1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two positions, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sister_havana, May 16, 2006.

1. palm beach preps would be a good beat. those high schools are usually loaded with talent, so plenty of good stories.
    and i think both plaschke and gene wojo started doing preps there, although i think it was the fort lauderdale news back then. but that's not a bad prep staff, huh?

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I referenced that more to show that this site may hold the answers to all of life's questions.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great job here. Football is outstanding and every other sport you cover will have state title contenders. In golf/tennis/swimming you'll have individual phenoms who are nationally ranked. Recruiting, consequently, will be big too. And you'll have some crossover battlegrounds with Miami and Palm Beach, which is good for the competitive juices.

For Pete's sake send the freaking clips, cookies for the editor, whatever. Get it in the mail now.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Indeed it does. I wasn't sure, but I did chuckle at the thought that the price of milk had been covered in its own thread.

As I saw in a quote from the Florida Dairy Farmers yesterday, "I raise my milk glass" to you for your keen observation.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Florida has no state income tax.

6. HeinekenMan

The cost of purchasing plates in Florida for two cars wiped out any bonus I got from not having to pay state sales tax. Plus, you don't have to pay $5 to get into a state park in Illinois.

7. sister_havana

sister_havana Member

There's a reason the cost of living is so high in Florida, esp. that area. It's one of the most beautiful places in the country.
    You have to want to make sacrifices. If you're just looking for a good job, there's plenty in places like Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, etc. etc. If you want to live in a beautiful place, it's going to cost more. But many papers, including the Sun-Sentinel, take this into account and pay good salaries to try to offset such a high cost of living.
    Some people. myself included, feel the sacrifice is worth it. Some don't.

8. HeinekenMan

I'd love to work for the Sun-Sentinel someday, and I enjoy a lot of stuff about Florida.

But I also hate a lot of things about Florida and often contemplate whether the beauty is worth all the pain. I can't stand the crime, and I'm not much for the danger on the roads. I have to think my chances of dying prematurely quadrupled when I moved to Florida. That said, I'm on my way to the pool.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Don't forget hurricane season.

10. zman82

zman82 Member

i know housing is high, but everything else can't be that much more expensive. i mean $50 groceries is $50 groceries, right?

11. carrie

carrie Active Member

OK ... this screams ridiculous to me.

You're acting like Florida is the crime mecca. That's just ridiculous.

For anyone serious about these gigs - Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful area. You're close to West Palm Beach and Miami and, as a section, will compete with them every day.

There's no state income tax in Florida. And I'd be more worried about the status of the Tribune Company than the danger on the roads/crime in Florida.

But then again, I only spent fifteen years of my life in Florida. What do I know? ::)

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

An answer comes to mind ...

Draft saved Draft deleted