1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two positions, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Jan 25, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Per the APSE board (apse.dallasnews.com, click on job board)

Looks like Miami is looking for both a copy editor and a high schools editor, with the promise that both these jobs could lead to something larger (more so the copy job, the HS editor is actually an assistant SE position).

GREAT paper IMHO, but chime in. What does everyone think?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Here's the ads...

-----------

Would you like to spend your days at the beach or playing golf and your evenings working in one of the nation's best (and busiest) sports markets?

The Miami Herald's award-winning sports department has an upcoming opening for the position of high schools editor. We're looking for an experienced editor who has excellent news judgment and thrives on deadline. The high schools job is an assistant sports editor position. Spanish is a plus.

Please send resumes to:

Jorge Rojas
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Miami Herald
    1 Herald Plaza
    Miami, FL 33132
    jrojas@miamiherald.com

Would you like to spend your days at the beach or playing golf and your evenings working in one of the nation's best (and busiest) sports markets?

The Miami Herald's award-winning sports department has an upcoming opening for the position of copy editor. We're looking for an experienced editor who has excellent news judgment and thrives on deadline. The copy editor job easily could lead to a larger role. Spanish is a plus.

Please send resumes to:

Jorge Rojas
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Miami Herald
    1 Herald Plaza
    Miami, FL 33132
    jrojas@miamiherald.com

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I think all day at the beach would make me pretty lazy come deadline, but hey, it's their ad.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Unfortunately, I think Spanish is more than a plus. They're as well off saying if you don't know the language, don't bother because the person who does will get the job.

5. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

But seriously if you live on the east and specially the west coast spanish is the language you have to know to get bye.

But how seriously do people in Miami care about High School sports? Compare to like the southern states?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Lolly, I'd like to think that's discrimination, but you have a point... lol

HS sports seem to be fairly big in Florida, especially football with how crazy that state gets.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I always like the jobs that come with the promise that they "could lead to something larger." If they can't promise the possibility of that, it's discouraging.

8. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Spanish is a plus here in L.A. or in Miami, but it's hardly a requirement. The last few desk people hired in Miami (at least the ones I am aware of) don't speak more than a few words of Spanish, if any. It would be more important for a reporter, but I don't think the Herald's last couple of writing hires speak Spanish, either. Most of the staff does not.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I can see why you'd think that, but it's never been the case there.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Lots of talent.... interest level is mediocre compared with most other parts of the country, though.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Not completely true Lolly. One of the Herald's best prep reports (now the Panthers guy) wasn't bilingual to the best of my knowledge. And at the Herald they will take someone immensely talented and just foot the bill for a few classes in conversational spanish.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very true. And this is from someone who a) worked there and b) does not speak Spanish.

Draft saved Draft deleted