1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two-page resume...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Sep 26, 2007.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Nay

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No, means you've stayed in jobs longer than a milisecond, unlike me and some others on here (don't know about farmerj, but having careers in two separate fields can lengthen it).

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

I was just about to ask the same thing. That said, you won't piss off any editors by keeping your resume to one page that includes your references. You may, however, piss off a few by putting them on the second page or not listing them at all.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

early on, i sent out resumes on 8 1/2 x 14 paper

get more stuff on it, still one page

and it worked

4. To an employer, a two-page resume could indicate you don’t write concise or choose words wisely. Even if that’s not the case, sports editors are looking for a reason to throw you back in the pile.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't there ever come a point in time where two pages is ok? I mean eventually you'll have had to have accomplished enough things. Especially as news becomes more multi-media driven and you have to tout various different skills. Starting out, yes, one page. But eventually isn't two pages even expected? Of course I say this knowing the look (design) of my resume sucks, even if the words that are on it don't.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This thread makes me feel worthless.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I can understand the idea that a resume that's too long will turn off prospective employers, but Jesus Christ, is it that hard to go through two pages of typed copy? I don't want to read every meaningless detail of someone's career, but if I'm hiring, I also expect a little more than the "convenient" reader's digest version of a resume.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think so, too, pall.

I don't like the idea of "you have to keep your resume to one page; don't make hiring managers work too hard" because the purpose of a friggin' resume is to highlight your experience and expertise.

I think there's a fine line you have to walk, because if you can't concisely summarize what you've done and what you're good at, you're hurting yourself by having a second page.

But god damn, if you've done something worth putting on a resume, then put it on your resume, even if it means a second page. You're the only one who can sell yourself -- ain't nobody else gonna do it for you.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Plus, some of us tend to be career vagabonds, so the work history alone takes up a bit of room.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Like most of the things I do in life, I model how I apply for a job after Dwight Schrute:

TyWebb professional resume, TyWebb athletic resume and TyWebb trivia.

11. I’m certainly with you not to sell yourself short.
    But why not treat resumes like stories? You have a certain inch count, in this case one page, so find a way to get your best stuff in.
    We manage space for a living everyday. How is this any different?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Are you saying your career is a 12-inch gamer as opposed to a 30-inch Sunday takeout?

Draft saved Draft deleted