1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two openings with AP's sports desk on JournalismJobs...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Guerrillascribe, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Any of these jobs get filled?

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I hear that the assistant's job is still open. Weird. Can't be hard to find good candidates these days. I certainly know some.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I don't think that's the problem. It's working for the AP. I have friends who work for the AP, and all of them say there's no way in hell they'd want to do sports for the AP. you basically give up your life, more so than most of us already do.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was hired for both gigs. thanks.

5. I've dealt with AP people for decades and while some seem to be a little unique, they all seem to be professional. Yes, they can get an attitude, but I haven't met many people in the media who don't have a moment themselves every once in a while.

I don't think the AP people are really any different from the rest of us. I know I respect them and I would be more than happy to work for them. I think they're probably the most professional group of people in this business. Many of the AP writers I have worked with (sports writers), I have become friends with and like very much. I wouldn't say a bad word about them.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

There is a very specific problem with working in the New York office.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

From Jeff Goodman, in an interview last month with The Big Lead:

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2378

"I took a job with the AP in Buffalo and was promoted to NYC (although no one warned me that it was hardly a perk to work in that communication-challenged office), where I lasted about a year."

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've heard of those issues as well; otherwise I'd be at least doing a Fred Thompson-level exploration.

Draft saved Draft deleted