1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two openings with AP's sports desk on JournalismJobs...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Guerrillascribe, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'm sure they will get a lot of applicants for both jobs and won't have a lot of trouble filling them.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My greatest night ever on the desk was when I had to call New York five minutes before deadline to inform them they had the Mets playing to a tie in the NL standings. The guy was already in mid-attitude when you could here the "Oh shit" alarm click in his brain. Thanked me profusely, then got updated standings sent in record time.

3. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Not entirely true ... there are people who wanted to work on that desk -- I was one of them when I was at 50 Rock several years ago. Problem was, TT wouldn't give me the time of day. Oh well ... I can still laugh at it now.

Apparently, Columbia J-school folk only need apply.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

She's very good at what she does.

But, she is most certainly not for everyone.

5. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

No one wants to work for Terry Taylor? Nah.
    [/quote]
    She's very good at what she does.

But, she is most certainly not for everyone.

[/quote]

As someone who worked for her, I disagree that she is very good at what she does.

I'll leave it at that.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This from an e-mail from an AP friend (non-sports):
    "A staffer in NY Sports also says that they've cut the sports stringer budget in half and haven't hired anyone in NY Sports in months, despite their openings. "

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Odd. Every time I've dealt with the NY sports guys, they've been cool. Now when they transfer you to photo or graphics ... look out.

Some of the state bureaus can be just as bad or worse.

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

So are they hiring for any of these jobs? Has anyone been brought in for interviews?

9. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

I was told last week that the desk job has been filled. ... and the assistant sports editor job won't be filled for a while.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I hear that there's a hiring freeze, but I don't know if the assistant job got filled or not.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The assistant's job was reposted today on JJ.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=741777

And they're looking for a national writer. Aren't those usually filled by promotions within AP? Did someone leave?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=741775

12. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

More likely someone got axed ... and AP doesn't always fill from within.

Draft saved Draft deleted