1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two openings with AP's sports desk on JournalismJobs...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Guerrillascribe, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Two openings I noticed while perusing JournalismJobs, one for a reporter and the other for an assistant editor.

First one is at http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=706366:

"The Associated Press seeks a seasoned reporter for our national sports desk in New York City.

This person should write with flair and have a knack for storytelling. At the same time, this person should be able to slip into an editor's chair to sharpen and improve copy.

As a reporter, this person should be comfortable covering a wide range of subjects, including the professional leagues, amateur and Olympic sports, television and general features.

As an editor, the job requires fast, deft handling of game stories, breaking news and items on our sports digest. It also calls for a steady, even hand in dealing with writers in the field. This should be someone who is able to work easily with others and clearly give direction to writers on breaking news, advances and features.

There will be writing opportunities, and that could lead to a beat reporting job.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: The ideal candidate will have broad knowledge of all major sports. An ideal candidate is a sharp, creative writer who is a self-starter and can spot developing stories and trends. The candidate should also have editing skills that make him or her capable of handling a heavy stream of copy, quickly and efficiently under pressure. Familiarity with and ability to work with multimedia elements is an important requirement. Also, a demonstrated ability and desire to work with Graphics, Broadcast and Online Video to ensure proper packaging is also needed. Work schedules must be flexible.

For consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to: 7309146@ap.contacthr.com.

AP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. AP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer."

Second one is at http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=706363

"The Associated Press seeks an assistant sports editor for its national sports desk in New York City.

The assistant sports editor operates much like a news editor, helping to oversee the daily report, directing coverage, assigning stories, editing copy and working with writers and making sure stories are developed across all platforms. This editor manages night side, given the crush of game copy and the inevitability of breaking sports news, and the NFL report on Sundays. Other responsibilities include assigning and shaping the overnight report, guiding bureaus on follow-up stories for the next day, and coordinating with Photos, Multimedia, Graphics and Broadcast.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: The ideal candidate must have excellent news and editing skills, the ability to handle fast-breaking stories and knowledge of and interest in a full range of sports, nationally and internationally. A candidate needs to be able to work with writers, identify and assign stories, and develop projects with bureaus.

Applicants must be capable of supervising and directing special events on site or from the office. Must be familiar with and able to work with multimedia elements, and must have ability and desire to work with Graphics, Broadcast, Photos and Online Video to ensure proper packaging of stories. For consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to: 7309109@ap.contacthr.com."

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't see surly phone skills under requirements... i'm guessing that's understood...

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

OMG, thanks for bringing that up. I thought surely to goodness, someone will mention how any time you call AP SportsDesk NY, folks there seem to be on the rag, like, every day.

I've tried to give people the benefit of the doubt, but all 10 times I've called - never fails, someone will not be so kind when answering the phone.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Their sports desk was nothing compared to the graphics department. Does Adam or Andy or Alan or whatever still work in graphics? I'm typically an easy guy to get along with and very rarely lose my temper, but during my year-long stint on the news desk, I lit into his ass on several occasions.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is there any way these two jobs don't get filled internally?

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's why I don't call in my men's basketball poll anymore _ I just send it by e-mail.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

AP graphics, notorious for putting a graphic on the budget then not sending it out -- and not bothering to send out an advisory to that effect.

I did get a pleasant woman on the phone last time I called graphics, though.

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

any time i call AP in NYC and ask for anything, once i get it i call 'em back three or four times to bitch about the fact that i didn't get it, and why was that?, and then you get to turn the tables on them and be an asshole back.

i would suggest this to anyone who gets that NYC attitude on the first call. maybe it's not nice, but it's fun as hell to knock them back.

and i only do this when the first request hits someone with an attitude, so sue me.............but they always sound like they're sitting around sucking down coney dogs anyway......

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In contrast, if NYT sends out something and I can't find it or it's messed up, they resend it right away -- without being dicks. (For some reasons their transmissions to us always end up funky.)

10. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

From what I hear, it's highly unlikely either of these get filled internally, though there's a slim chance they might try to entice a supervisor or the like from the national desk to take the assistant sports editor spot.

I'm told it's been tough to fill jobs on the NY sports desk internally last couple of years because no one wants to work for the sports editor.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Is anyone up for either of these jobs or are they in the take-the-resume stage still?

12. No one wants to work for Terry Taylor? Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted