1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two openings in Rome, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EGM67, May 31, 2011.

1. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

From journalismjobs

Want to truly leave your mark at a newspaper company? The Rome News-Tribune (Rome, Ga) offers just such opportunities as assistant online news editor or online sports editor. The assistant online news editor gig for RN-T.com requires a keen sense of news judgment, attention to detail, knowledge of AP style, good writing skills and a never-ending thirst to interact with our audience of over 200,000 monthly unique visitors. Knowledge of Facebook and Twitter is a must, but more importantly we need someone to better leverage our social media efforts to serve, inform and interact with our readers. While this job primarily involves updating our websites and social media offerings, it could also involve writing, editing, shooting photos, shooting videos, writing scripts, working on documentaries and in-depth reporting efforts. We're looking for someone who can take an average story and turn it into a digital experience for our readers. Our websites and multimedia offerings have won 13 state, regional and national awards over the past four years, including the first-ever Southeast Regional Emmy nomination given to a newspaper. We need someone who not only wants to be good at this job, but who strives to be the best every day.

Now if you dream of being the next big ESPN personality but Bristol hasn't called yet, don't worry because we've got the perfect job opening to serve as a launch vehicle to your future career on Sportscenter. The Rome News-Tribune is looking for an online sports editor to helm our state, regional and national award winning website — prepcentralonline.com. Prep Central is the go-to resource for photos, videos, articles, blogs and more, covering high schools in our region. The job requires a great knowledge of sports, tireless work ethic and someone who thinks covering a region basketball championship game is just as rewarding as covering the NBA Finals. This position will be responsible for shooting, editing and posting video, updating Facebook and Twitter offerings, penning blogs, writing articles, shooting photos, keeping a relevant schedule of important games for local teams, recruiting bloggers and stringers to help cover teams and generally ensuring prepcentralonline.com continues to be one of the best high school sports websites around. We expect you to have a solid grasp of writing, AP style, grammar and a lively writing style. Anyone can write a typical game story, but we're looking for someone who can turn a typical run-of-the-mill game into something everyone wants to read. But here’s the big extra you can’t get in similar jobs. Along with these duties, you'll co-host our Emmy-nominated high school football show, Gridiron Central. We produce the show twice a week and may even do it live this year, if we find the right person. We also plan live-streaming coverage of some high school sports. We have a full-fledged video production studio, cool cameras, powerful computers, lots of winning teams to cover and a rabid following.

If you're up to the challenge of either of these jobs, send a resume with writing clips, video links, things that show off your social media skills and a brief description of how you would build more community interaction through social media to Jim Alred at jalred@npco.com

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is a small, family-owned daily paper, with all that comes with that. It's not as bad as some, but it's not without issues. Rome is just over an hour from Atlanta, 90 minutes from Chattanooga, and it's really a neat town, with three colleges, a thriving tennis community, minor-league baseball and proximity to some fun outdoor activities. I know the SE is a good guy, as is the news editor. The rest of the newsroom management I know nothing about. Good gig for someone just starting out. PM me for details.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gotta love this line.

Rest of the job description doesn't sound half bad.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I like the idea that this is a launching pad to a job on SportsCenter :)

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

As someone who went to school for video and enjoys both writing and video work I think I will put my name in the hat for this one. I don't have relatives in Georgia but my parents are in SC and this would be about 25 hours closer of a drive (live very north and west).

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know a few people who have worked there and they had good things to say about it in terms of working environment.

Rome is actually fairly progressive culturally for a town its size. There are a couple of small colleges there, and a pretty good little minor-league baseball stadium (Single A for the Braves).

The paper owns its own press, which is increasingly rare for a paper its size and also helps quite a bit with the deadline crunch on football Fridays and Saturdays.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bots are always welcome.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So why the openings? I assume the last people in these positions went to ESPN.

9. You've got to have some love for a 14K paper that is putting this kind of emphasis on multimedia work and spending the money on the equipment and technology needed to do it. This is kind of refreshing.

Draft saved Draft deleted