1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two more SoCal fires ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ChrisLong, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Malibu has burned a lot. The winds are so crazy over there. Godspeed to everyone. I grew up in this stuff. But this is really wild, especially over on the west end of things. Usually, it's the I.E. that's burning, but since so much has gone up there over the years, other places are now burning.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My oldest niece lives in Ross in Marin County. She called today (she's family information officer) to check in on us and told Alice that they haven't been able to go outside for the smoke except to run basic errands. Says her kids' clothes smell like they've been in front of a fireplace when they get home from school. The big fire is 150 miles away.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Smoke is so bad in the Bay Area from the fire up in Butte County (4 hours away), just received notice the state universities are canceling classes the next two days. The haze is real bad and air quality in some areas are hitting hazardous levels. Were not close to the fire and it's this bad! Can you guys back east send us precipitation? Please?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh. I wish I could send you ours.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kyle Dickman, formerly an editor at Outside, worked as a hotshot. He wrote a really good book about the Yarnell Hill fire as well.

playthrough likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I went to Missoula to cover a football game back in 2012 when there was a really bad wildfire in the area. They almost canceled it because of the smoke. I hiked up to the M the day before the game and it was really hard to breathe. Can't imagine what it's like in Cali now.

(Also ended up befriending several Canadian hotshots who were in town and they damn near drank me under the table. Don't fuck with firefighters, man.)

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been hearing of horrendously high air quality index figures from friends in the Bay area today as a result of the fires. Quite a few schools are closing tomorrow. Central Coast Section has last weekend's postponed football playoff games to five high schools in the Monterey Bay area. Each school will host a tripleheader on Saturday and the cross country finals have been moved from Belmont to Salinas on Sunday, which is highly unusual.

Also hear UC Davis and Sacramento State may shift their rivalry game to Rabobank Stadium in Salinas.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

We are still open tomorrow but I wonder how many students are going to be there. We have next week off and the air giving everyone headaches. I'm praying they cancel school. Just no point in going through that. The air was so bad we couldn't see the hills just two or three miles away.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Several fires have been started in homeless encampments, where cooking fires have gotten out of control and lit up the brushy areas around them. The City of Los Angeles -- the same city that happily enforces hundreds of mind-numbingly dumb ordinances to pad its coffers on a daily basis -- says it's powerless to clear the homeless out of high-risk fire danger zones because it can't afford the No Trespassing signs that would make it illegal for them to camp on public property.

Fire Dangers and the Homeless: What Prevention is Being Done?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My son goes to Cal and after they cancelled classes for today, but not yet for Monday and Tuesday, he decided to fly home to SoCal this morning because the air is so bad. He messaged his professors and said he couldn't take it any more.

We were going to drive up to see him for Thanksgiving, but this is better for all.

Draft saved Draft deleted