1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two more SoCal fires ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ChrisLong, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Tremendous storytelling. I couldn't believe how much flammable material I saw in the Foothills this fall even before the fires broke out in Yosemite, Paradise and Malibu. And the population has grown to where open space areas no longer provide enough protection. That story refutes the fallacy that building "fire proof" stucco and tile roofs can make a difference. If the fire is big enough, it'll burn anything.

I'm in agreement with some of the other folks here. Forget earthquakes. The Big One is coming, and it's going to be a wildfire that decimates a major urban area -- thinking the Bay Area and LA./Orange County, specifically -- where the houses are densely packed together and fire crews won't stand a chance if there's a perfect storm of fuel, wind and heat. Think Santa Rosa on a monster scale with all exit routes blocked.

I shudder to think of the devastation.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't worry. The CEO and other head honchos will receive millions in bonuses. They'll probably land other high-paying gigs. Nothing to be concerned about.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And don't forget the lost month of fire abatement work due to the government shutdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted