1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two-minute primer for the idiots who think 2012 will mark the end of times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jan 1, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Of course this will make too much sense for the Chicken Littles and Nervous Nellies.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not trying to be critical, only curious: how many people do you think actually either think the world will end in 2012 or even consider it a possibility?

I have heard a lot of "end of the world" jokes about 2012, but I'm fairly certain none of my friends actually think there's even the tiniest shred of truth to any of that.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If it is going to end, let it end before I work today and not after. But not until after I walk the dogs.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Probably no more than the people who believe in black helicopters. But there's enough. Scan the internet for five minutes.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Well that's just great. The world's supposed to end on Friday, Dec. 21, a payday. And I'm currently scheduled to be off work Dec. 22-Jan. 2.

Wonder if my employer will pay me in advance for unused holiday time?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had my TV on in the background one day and there was an episode of one of those wife swap shows. And this one family was a complete believer in all this. Their kids had ot carry survival packs every day, etc. And they bought thousands of dollars in furniture/cars/etc. that didn't have payments due until 2013 because that way they'll never have to pay for it.

I hope someone revisits them in like May 2013 when they're homeless and their kids hate them.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What good is a survival pack if the world ends??? Nimrods.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure their kids already hate them for being on national television and openly declaring their stupidity. Imagine having to go to school the next day after that one aired.

9. imjustagirl

They went into it. Something about how only the true believers would make it. They turned it into like a Rapture type thing.

10. imjustagirl

Clip:

http://io9.com/5585076/woman-on-wife-swap-makes-her-surrogate-family-train-for-2012

http://www.ibabuzz.com/prepcorner/2010/03/30/family-of-livermore-golf-prodigy-to-appear-on-abcs-wife-swap/

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Odin and Freya? What about Thor and Loki?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You'd be astounded. Look at all the people who have fallen for the 3,493 guarantees of The Rapture on such-and-such a date.

Believers want to believe. We're not fostering anti-religion, here. We're talking human nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted