1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Men on Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since those details have been confirmed by Dutch & American officials in the CNN story Boomer posted I would guess the original story was correct on those details.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or perhaps the Homeland Security folks realized that it may be better to play it cool and do surveillance on a pair of dry-run bombers who had never before raised suspicion.

But I'm thinking that Bismol is out of the bag.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hadn't clicked through to the CNN update. Thanks.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The one guy's relative said in one of the articles that you tape together stuff by who you're bringing it home for. Maybe that's true.

People in foreign countries want weird shit. My girlfriends sisters want her to bring home tampons & Advil when she visits (Taiwan).

But, if they just missed their flight because of a gate change and were put on a more direct route as a result, then Homeland Security should have been aware of this.

Either they fucked up & had them arrested for no reason or somethings up.

The original story made it seem like their was deception involved in what flight he took. Like he purposely put his bags on one flight while boarding another. Like maybe he had purchased two tickets.

That would be very dangerous if he was able to do that and the bags weren't called back (like they were here).

Someone could blow up a plane and be in the tribal areas of Yemen before we ever realized what happened.

They need to get to the bottom of this.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Two Men on Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attac

I guess it's also possible the officials quoted in the CNN story are full of shit but I doubt it.

I guess it's also possible these two guys are a couple of practical jokers who thought it would be fun to fuck with the TSA too.

The CNN story also seemed to clear up the situation with the one guy's bags going to DC (he was rerouted). That type of thing is still very common even with all the post-911 luggage rules that state your bags have to fly with you.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They've still got their Arabic-sounding names!

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Story looks stalled at "WTF?"

http://www.freep.com/article/20100901/NEWS07/9010388/1318/Terror-mystery-Feds-say-dont-jump-to-conclusions-on-passengers

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Brian Ross might have jumped the gun again? No way.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's what I've always thought. If someone suicide-bombed a Wal-Mart or just shot one up once a month, it would be far scarier and more effective to the American populace than these convoluted Spectre-like 9/11 acts.

I hope they never figure it out because then we'd really see a police state.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's what I thought the first couple of years after 9/11. Every year, you'd read about the huge security at the Super Bowl. Yet, there usually is a couple of NBA or NHL games around. If the terrorists really wanted to scare us, they could attack one of those games, while everyone else is looking at the SUper Bowl.

Hopefully, as said, they never figure that out.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The absurdly high ticket prices of American professional sports is the only thing keeping the terrorists at bay.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how long it's going to take them to figure out that there are huge crowds outside of every sports event when said events are OVER, at which time security is non-existent and/or devoted solely to traffic control.

Draft saved Draft deleted