1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Men on Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Domestic counterterrorism does its job again.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In a very oddball kind of way, it's a good thing terrorists seem to have tunnel vision about using planes as their means of terrorism. Very predictable.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's also remarkable how many of these cases involve flights through Schipol Airport in Amsterdam. I assume it has to do with the specific flight connections through there.

I flew through there a couple of years ago and was struck by just how impressive the security was. (And one week later, two suspected terrorists were removed from the exact Koln-to-Amsterdam flight I had taken.)

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Say what you want, but I hope these two get the book thrown at them.
    Yes, I'd guess they were Muslim in faith.
    And I'm not into stereotyping, but I'll call a spade a spade in a minute.
    The assholes need to be dealt with. A pair of sorry motherfuckers.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Two Men on Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attac

Bags most definitely don't stay with passengers. If you get bumped or miss your flight your bags will generally still be loaded on your original flight.

However, you're not supposed to be able to check bags onto a flight you don't have tickets for. Be interested to know why this guy's bags were put on that DC flight in the first place.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was really hoping they had American-sounding names.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That just what I expected.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No one expects the Inquisition, but one can always expect the Junkie, who ruined the pun by taking it literally.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tickets on both flights, perhaps?

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Here are some more details:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100830/NEWS06/100830053/1319/2-men-with-Mich.-ties-raise-suspicion-of-terror-plot

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Positive Bag Match dictates that unless it was the airline's decision to bump you off the flight your bag can't fly unless you do, and yes this all came about post 911. Prior to that bags were not screened and up until August of this year, not all cargo on passenger flights was required to be screened.

12. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Absolutely. These idiots not realize how friggin' easy it would be to bomb a subway?

Draft saved Draft deleted