1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Long Form Works

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I just happened to read today:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9338962/when-beautiful-game-turns-ugly

and

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/6/6/4392208/montaous-walton-profile-fake-online-prospect

A lot to digest in both.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nice, clean presentation for Wright's story.

Too much googlies for the second story.

All we really need is white background, black letters, clean font, photos, videos, links.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nice job, Wright.

This is a funny few lines:

"How a fan handles victory says more about Verona than the fact that a group of mercenary athletes won a game against other mercenary athletes. Swastikas are cool, but the ultras think pitch invasion is bush league."

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I guess I'm old fashioned but I was a little disappointed in the Thompson piece. Not because of the writing, I haven't read it yet.

The story had gotten some buzz on the twitterz when it hit the web and I was looking forward to reading it in ESPN the Magazine when it came out.

I'm not one of those who has to read every story online first, and, fuck, I do pay for a subscription. So the mag rolls in and nary a word.

I guess it was an online exclusive or maybe it will be in the next issue. Anyway, I still wanted to read it, and I jut tried to print off a copy. All I got was the first and last page.

So fuck it. I'm not going to read it now, unless it shows up in print.

I get the Google Analytic e-mails for my job. I know that keeping people on the site is very important or something but I pay to get a magazine in the mail and, I guess, maybe ESPN should start putting its best longform in the print edition instead of trying to shove another fucking Britney Grenier is the bravest, bestest basketball player. Ever. Story. On. Me. Because she can dunk and also has a pet snake or maybe it was just for the photo shoot.

(Dear Kate Fagan, please stop. You really are too good for that.)

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Thompson's story is in the Money Issue this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted