1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two loaves of bread, $100 billion. The cost of inflation, priceless!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 19, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7515823.stm

I started a thread about inflation in Zimbabwe half a year ago. It fascinates me. They are introducing a $100 billion note into circulation. It will buy you two loaves of bread (if you can find anyone who will accept Zimbabwean currency instead of US notes)!

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The original thread apparently did not have the same rate of inflation as the Zimbabwean economy.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no clue what that means.

At the time, I think they were about to introduce $500,000 notes. Now a half a year later they are introducing a $100 billion note. A half million dollar note that was worth a couple of U.S. dollars blew me away. A $100 billion note that can only buy you two loaves of bread is unbelievable. I guess they don't have the problem of whether or not to phase out the penny?

5. I was in Zimbabwe a few days ago. I was stuffing coins in a gumball machine for three days.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A bullet to the back of Mugabe's head would fix this.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Suddenly, that e-mail I got from a Zimbabwe national makes much more sense. He wasn't talking about one billion in American dollars, he meant native currency. All in exchange for my bank account number.
    And any idea on how I could get my hands a couple billion dollar Zimbabwe bills and with not going there?
    That would be awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted