1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two jobs: SE and Sports Copy Editor, Marietta Daily Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

On the plus side, there is a Dreamland not too far from the paper.

2. BudMan

BudMan Member

A colleague who used to work in Marietta told me that the publisher all but banned photos of black athletes in basketball games. Needless to say, this limited art options.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

boots will rip every other paper in america and then defend this one? that should tell you a hell of a lot

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It tells me Boots knows a hell of a lot less than he thinks he does.

5. boots

boots New Member

It tells you nothing little man. I am not defending this paper. It has problems but again, if the right personnel was there it has potential.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Only if there is a change in personnel in the publisher's office.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And since he owns the paper, I'm guessing that's not happening anytime soon.

8. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

Why work at the Marietta Daily Journal?

To learn about integrity, of course!

Not only as integrity suggests a sense of character that is respectful of others while demanding well-earned respect, but also regarding a clear and comprehensive plan to not only achieve superior results in the normal course of the company's day-to-day efforts, but additionally put tools in the hands of the staff to individually and collectively deal with crises and success in a manner that benefits the whole by using time-tested principles which are on point, based in logic, and on track to grow the circulation. +

*The Marietta Daily Journal*

--Managers with purpose
    --A healthcare plan designed to protect its employees and their families
    --A creamed corn wrestling pit

These are things not to be found at The Marietta Daily Journal

But if you don't mind being surrounded by hypocrisy, technology that does not work, alternately irrational and absent management styles, personal verbal abuse, (until recently, asbestos-coated ceiling tiles) and/or a newsroom with a disregard for professional journalism in any shade other than yellow, work at the Marietta Daily Journal.

You will, by contrast, be able to spot integrity everywhere else you go.

The creamed corn pit you will have to make yourself.

(+ DF, the 89-word paragraph was for you, about the only thing good left there)

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

technology at a newspaper that does not work ... what's so unusual about that!?

10. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

Other "if onlys"
    --If Temple had the right personnel, it could win the I-A football title
    --If I had gills, I could build a house and live cheaply on the bottom of the ocean
    --If we didn't have Boots, we wouldn't need to wander through any more pig shit about the MDJ

11. boots

boots New Member

If you had a brain, you'd be a very dangerous individual. If you don't like the MDJ, fine. Yes, it's a rag but for some, it may be a lifeboat. If you are a at a better place, then you are blessed. However, I'm willing to bet that your house isn't too much better.

12. skip2mylou

skip2mylou New Member

I am happy to keep this thread high on the first page, so more people can know what fine place the MDJ is.
    But, I am at a loss to find your logic in attacking me.
    I say you don't know what's going on in Marietta and that somehow belittles people who are stuck in a paper that is broken, but you can say the paper does not have the right personnel to even have potential right now, and that is not a slight on the people who work there?
    With a brain chemistry like that you ought to be the managing editor of the MDJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted