1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two jobs: SE and Sports Copy Editor, Marietta Daily Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Company: Marietta Daily Journal
    Position: SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 17, 2006
    Job ID: 452181

Description:
    SPORTS EDITOR: The Marietta Daily Journal, a Georgia Press Association General Excellence newspaper, seeks a Sports Editor to join a strong team. The Journal, a seven-day daily, is located in fast-growing Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta. Cobb County is considered a major player in Atlanta’s 16-county metro area.
    This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits package, including health and dental insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.

Forward a resume and references to: Ref: Sports Editor - resumes@mdjonline.com ~ Fax: 770-428-5375. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.

Marietta Daily Journal and Neighbor
    Newspapers
    Position: SPORTS COPY EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: October 17, 2006
    Job ID: 609075

Description:
    SPORTS COPY EDITOR Daily newspaper needs an experienced copy editor to handle editing and page layout responsibilites for an award-winning staff covering a large Atlanta metro area. Fax resume to 770-428-5375 or email to resumes@mdjonline.com. NO PHONE CALLS.

2. busuncle

busuncle Member

Out of curiosity, how many people are on the MDJ's sports staff.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NOOOOO!!!!!!! RUN! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that may be the nicest thing i've ever heard about that place

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Why? What's so bad about this place?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Release the hounds!

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You really know, don't you? You just want all of us who have been there to drag out those old war stories again for your entertainment.

8. boots

boots New Member

There are two sides to every story and then there is the truth. Is this a great place? No but by the same token, kids were put into positions that they weren't qualified for. The pay isn't great which is a major reason why there is so much turnover.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, the number one reason there is so much turnover is that the publisher is a psychotic idiot who pays like crap and treats employees like vermin. The job life expectancy of a sports editor there is measured in months. If the over-under on how long the SE lasts is a year, take the under.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and did I mention the publisher's idea of what the paper is supposed to cover and how changes hourly?

11. prhack

prhack Member

At one time, just about every current or former reporter I ran into in the Atlanta area either A) had their own MDJ story to tell or B) knew someone who did. I fit into the former category (though my six weeks in purgatory were spent at an MDJ affiliate), and let me say it's everything people make it out to be ... and 10 times more. Do yourself a favor and steer clear. This place has chewed up some pretty good folks and spit them out. If you are tempted to apply, just take a staple gun and fire it through your eyelids. The experience should approximate a day in that pee-pee soaked heck hole.

The fact that the circulation is so pathetically low in a county of more than 600,000 people tells you just about all you need to know about Mr. Brumby's little toy.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So you're a former Neighbor! Congratulations!

Draft saved Draft deleted