1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two jobs - one writer/one desk - Baton Rouge Advocate

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Good point, cworsh4. That is the area where manpower is badly in need of redistribution. Too many desk guys is the major culprit. Robin is one of the hardest-working, ovrworked folks I've ever worked with.

2. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

Anyone heard about any progress on this front? I applied, but haven't heard back. Seeing if anyone else has had some better luck

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This one has closed. I am told they had great response for the positions. I suspect we will hear something soon

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Two Journalists One Cup

5. psychman56

psychman56 Guest

So what exactly is a copy editor/paginator? Will he be responsible for the appearance of the paper or page? Or will he just make sure that there are no grammatical errors and factual flaws in the articles?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a journalism background? I ask that not to be mean or snarky, just wondering.

A copy editor/paginator is someone who handles copy editing and page design (paginating). Many papers will look for someone with both skill sets, since the days of big copy desks and dedicated designers and editors are long gone

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah Psych, what Moderator said.

Technically, copy editing involves fixing spelling and punctuation errors, fact-checking, that sort of thing. Paginating is designing the pages, picking the photos, writing headlines, making copy fit on the page with the right type face and size and basically anything to do with the look of the page. In most of my jobs, I've done both --- edit the actual text and place it on the page to fit. Sometimes it is necessary to cut a story just to make it fit on the page, and sometimes you don't know that until you actually get it on the page.

Hope that helps. It really is helpful for one person to be able to do both.

Draft saved Draft deleted