1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Indiana brothers OD at same party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe in a cop's holster or on TV or something. Someone's hunting shotgun perhaps, though none I can specifically recall. But, no, I can't remember ever seeing someone's handgun live and in person.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was 25 I was palling around with a sportswriter buddy who'd gone to a very well-regarded private university (not an Ivy, but close). One weekend he and I went to a party being held in the neighborhood of his alma mater. It was at a beat-up old house, probably being rented by a bunch of young alums/older students (I didn't know anyone other than my friend). It seemed like a typical party for that demographic -- kegs lined up on the front porch, pretty heavy weed cloud hanging from the ceiling -- but then one of the hosts pointed us to a room and said something to the effect of "this is where we want to keep the coke-snorting." My friend didn't blink, so I guess he was used to such things. I, on the other hand, realized just how relatively tame my partying had been to that point.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Drugs hold pretty much no appeal to me, and never have. Even pot. Alcohol is appealing, socially, first because it also serves as food. So it's enjoyable for reasons that have nothing to do with its mind-altering qualities. As far as those mind-altering qualities go, alcohol is simply a social lubricant, to me. You aren't pursuing some pleasurable altered state in the same way one is with drugs. What drugs do feels intimate to me. Like whacking off together. That doesn't appeal to me.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The strong prescription painkillers that are oversubscribed are getting a lot of people addicted who weren't looking to dabble in drugs.

When they can't get the prescription stuff any more, a lot turn to heroin, which is a lot cheaper and easier to get (apparently the herion manufacturers don't pass on R&D costs like Big Pharma).

Saw an article in recent time that 9.1 million people are prescriped the strong drugs and and 2.2 million are addicted.

That's crazy.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't understand (and I'm not sure I want to understand) what you mean by drugs highs "feeling intimate" to you, "Like whacking off together." I assume you're just talking about the handful of times you smoked weed.

7. Dick Whitman

No. Not at all. I mean that it's people pursuing this pleasurable feeling together. Yuck. Gross. Not my idea of fun.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Ever had sex?

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, and it's quite a different vibe than I'm looking for when I'm hanging out with the fellas.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You saying that you're grossed out by people seeking pleasure together is the most Dick Whitman post ever.

Vombatus, HC, Ace and 2 others like this.
  11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

So alcohol has mind-altering qualities, but those qualities are limited to being a social lubricant (an interesting choice of words in light of some of the rest of the post), but it's not a pleasurable altered state like with drugs because, OK, this is where I get completely lost.

Anyway, as someone with familiar with both drugs and alcohol, I'll simply say Dick's more recent posts on this topic are consistent with his earlier post about having no experience with drugs.

Even when I was in college and we'd decide to spend our money on drinking rather than eating, we did not fool ourselves into thinking alcohol was food. We just chose to drink places that had free peanuts.

Baron Scicluna, Riptide, Dyno and 3 others like this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why did I never date sensible girls like Amy who were happy with booze and peanuts?

Draft saved Draft deleted