1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Indiana brothers OD at same party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Prescription drugs seem to be worse for the populace as illegal drugs these days. Sad.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I wonder if this might've actually involved a tainted batch of drugs, rather than overdoses. The odds of two brothers that age both dropping dead the same night at the same party solely from overdose just seems so astronomically slim that you can't help but wonder if there's more to the story.

4. Dick Whitman

I saw a story somewhere where two other party-goers were hospitalized also, but didn't die. So I think you are probably right.

Ugh. So glad I never got into drugs, or even tried them. (Other than the obvious one, less than five times.)

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

It is amazing how much things have changed. When I was in college 30 year ago we smoked a ton of weed and did a bit of coke and some mushrooms but I never saw heroin or crack. If I ever did see that I swore I would run in the other direction as fast as possible. There were friends of mine that would do some prescription stuff now and then but they were the minority. It is really scary that this seems to be almost common today. Bad shit.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know ... I don't think it really has changed that much. I have never been in the presence of anything stronger than pot, and I'm almost in my mid-40s. I'm sure the majority of kids today could say the same. I don't think this stuff is that common -- I hope I'm not wrong -- and I'm sure it depends on where you live.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Or who you hang out with and how you seek your enjoyment.

I'm also mid-40s and am right with BCD - never been around any of it.

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I've never seen cocaine or heroin. Or a gun for that matter.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Overprescription of pain meds like Oxy drove the demand for heroin. It's skyrocketed the past few years. I never saw or heard of anybody using in my drug days. Now it's pretty common.

Ace likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, see Baltimore.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You've never seen a gun?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went to school in the '70s and we had pretty much everything available to us but crack, which (I'm glad) hadn't been invented yet, and pain killers like Oxycodone. The popular pills were black beauties and quaaludes, although I didn't enjoy either. I dabbled in cocaine in the early '80s but ultimately it was cost prohibitive for me, so I never got in too deep. Smoked plenty of weed, saw guns.

Draft saved Draft deleted