1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

two in a row

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thereligiouswrong, May 6, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You guys get days off?

2. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Saturdays and Sundays unless it's tournament time.

3. e4

e4 Member

I hardly get a day off, and hardly get overtime too. And that's no badge of honor. I think it breaks some laws.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Do you work for Kathy Gifford?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

More than enough. Can't complain.

6. e4

e4 Member

Tough thing is, I don't mind working a ton of hours to turn in solid work, never have and never will. But when I ask for time off, when I need my time off, either for personal sanity or family commitments, I'm hassled about it. There's no back scratching going on. This is at a pretty big paper too, not a place where there's a (relative) shortage of resources. But really, I'd rather just have my time when I need it -- it's more precious than money.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I've had Mondays and Tuesdays off ever since I got here. I used to have Fridays and Saturdays off when I worked the news side at the old paper.

8. 52, pretty much. Though during football season, the days off are often spent traveling or writing follows from home, etc., etc.

During the season it's Sunday-Monday and most of the rest of the year the normal Saturday-Sunday. God bless college football, I guess, along with a very worker-friendly shop (not even guild, either). I did the seven days, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. thing for several years on the way up, mostly when I was single. I wouldn't do it again. I'd get out before then.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

90 percent of the time it's saturday and sunday off. thursdays are half day 90 percent of the time, too. :)

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

my two days off vary from week-to-week, depending on how the editor sets up the schedule.

On a related question, what is your scheduled work week? Is it a Saturday to Friday week like mine? Or it is a Monday to Sunday week (making the weekend the end of the week, not the beginning), or is it something else?
    So I get two days at random off between Saturday and Friday... one week it's Monday and Thursday, the next week it could be Saturday and Thursday, the following week it could be Sunday and Wednesday... and its never up for more than 2-3 weeks (sometimes less) in advance, so making plans is tough.

11. Like many in the biz, my days off vary from week to week. Usually split days off. And, of course, the sked is posted no more than three weeks in advance. So planning family stuff in advance is difficult. My wife REALLY loves it!

But I do like being able do errands during the day when most schmucks are working.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Every week, just about.

Really, one of the very best editors I worked under used to schedule all of us for split days off because he believed we were "more rested" not working five days in a row. I agreed with him about probably everything else, but not that. I truly admired that editor and so I truly, truly wanted to agree that this was best, but my body kept saying no, no, no. We had massive workloads and I never felt like I caught my breath, I was tired all the time. And I was 29-30 at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted