1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two hours and counting till I know my fate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by highlander, Apr 28, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Just found out there will be a meeting a 4 p.m. today with one of the higher-ups in our company. There is a big managers meeting going on in another office currently. I work for a group of community newspapers, just to let anyone know.

There is so much speculation as to what is going on, from the company closing to people losing jobs or moving in people from other offices to ours. Don't really know, but I doubt this is going to come out good.

Funny thing is we have numerous papers going out today and if they tell us we have two weeks left, I just don't know how to keep putting them out. I know it's the professional thing to do and I can also use the money but it's hard to put your heart and effort behind that underthose circumstances.

Guess we will all find out at 4 p.m. Wish me luck.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good luck. You can count on us for support.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks I've been at this job since July of 1995. Just sitting here thinking, I don't have any boxes to take all the crap home.

4. Stay strong. Stay here.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

What he said.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Best of luck.

7. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks guys. I know I don't post here much, but I know you have helped a lot of guys through this lately.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If it helps, pick the bar where you and your colleagues will drink tonight, just in case, and give us the number so we can mobilize (whip out our credit cards).

Hoping you're relieved and happy after the meeting, and that it is not as bad as you fear.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

We have a lot of experience with giving such support. Too much experience.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you find out you've got two weeks left, you'll continue to do a solid, professional job for those who deserve it--the readers and the subjects of your stories--and b/c it's good karma. eventually, you'll be in a much better gig/place and those that cut your legs out will still be going-nowhere-pieces-of-shit.

At least that's how it worked the second-to-last time I lost my job. I'm still waiting on the karmic kickback from this one.

Good luck.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Actually my thoughts right now are about all the coaches, players and adminstrtators even some parents I have had the pleasure to work with over the years.

What I hate is if this is the end, baseball and softball playoffs, probably my favorites things to cover start this week and next, and those kids aren't going to get any coverage except a blurb in the big daily.

Just wish this could have ended after school was out and the playoffs were over.

36 minutes to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted