1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two great reads ... about writers.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Weingarten is the star of my book on the Post. Must've talked with him for 50 hours. Read everything he wrote, from the New York magazine story, to the dead kids in car seats. His long-form narratives are puzzles made of beautiful pieces that interlock in unexpected ways When he read my book, he said, "Tough, fair, eloquent. Of course, I didn't read the parts about me. Too neurotic to read about myself." Of all the people who have ever told me they didn't read a story about themselves, Weingarten is the only one I believed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got two books by him via Amazon. His "Old Dogs are The Best Dogs" made me cry. I need to get in touch with him and just tell him - he's that good.

3. I don't think I could read the piece about kids in the cars .. But I would like to read The Great Zucchini.
    Is it on the web?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The article about Kimball was hilarious. I remember seeing him at a few Masters and in a room of unkempt, ill-dressed sportswriters, he stood out as great examples of both. But a great writer. Loved the Ed Schuyler story. I've heard tons of good stories about that guy.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm sure George would have happily complied with the MLB dress code suggestions. /crossthread

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The Peekaboo Paradox: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/18/AR2006011801434.html. Pretty sure it's the second link that comes up when you Google "The Great Zucchini."

Draft saved Draft deleted