1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two good ethical issues from the NHL playoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Larry Brooks with a real interesting column about how the media can determine whether or not Jaromir Jagr makes $8.4 million with the Rangers next year:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182008/sports/rangers/conn_job_107080.htm

The Flyers wanted to hand out copies of Mike Wise's column yesterday at their game against Washington, but the Post issued a cease-and-desist order. Don't like that move. The column's in the public domain. What's the big deal?

http://www.nbc10.com/sports/15915522/detail.html

Wise's original column, which is pretty funny, although I feel the Flyers are playing harder than they are dirtier:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/15/AR2008041503637.html?hpid=artslot

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Flyers could have bought 20,000 copies of the Post. Problem solved.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff, FB. Now I've figured out why The Living Heart Donor is actually playing up to his ability. Jaromir Jagr can be so frustrating ... does it really take an incentive such as this for him to actually play the game?

Gee ... Philly encouraging this crap? No shock there.

Thing is, the Flyers are pushing the Caps all over the ice. Hard to argue given that Washington has the look of a tired, beaten team.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It is not in the "public domain," a term which refers to something which is not owned or controlled by anybody and which has no legal restrictions on use. The column is copyrighted by the Post, which has the right to restrict the re-distribution of its intellectual property.

In other words, nothing to see here.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The Post should have found a way to distribute 20,000 copies of the paper at the Wachovia Center. Idiots.

6. VJ

VJ Member

They were too busy dealing with dick jokes.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Too much,

I disagree with the "nothing to see here" comment. I don't know how Mike Wise felt about the Flyers' idea, but if you're going to carve, don't run away.

Protecting re-distribution is such a lame excuse. It strikes me as chicken. You published it. Stand up for it. Don't hide.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Brooks' column is another example of why media people shouldn't vote on awards.

I thought this thread was going to reference the Ottawa columnist who suggested the Senators needed to test Crosby's ankle injury with a two-hander.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's not much of an issue on that one, SS. That was dirty and absolutely unnecessary.

The media in Ottawa might want to look at Bryan Murray and the awful job he did down the stretch if it isn't already. Fired the coach, took over behind the bench and promptly ran the Titanic into the iceberg.

Coaches and GMs have been fired for much less.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

::) Yeah, because Mike Wise would be in charge of that for the Post.

Didn't come from him, which should be obvious. The Post's upper management would be the ones making that call, which is within their rights as the copyright holder.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Heck, I saw Mike Wise on TV the other night cracking jokes about how pissed off people in Philly were. I think he said something like, if they opened the doors to the lower concourse early (while on camera) he was a goner. But he said it while laughing. I don't think he cared too much about the reaction the way the upper management in the Post did.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gary Bettman paying attention to columns like Wise wrote are why the NHL is in the state that it is. Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals are not Bettman's meal ticket as Wise asserted. The NHL is better off going the direction of bringing back the Broad Street bullies.

Draft saved Draft deleted