1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two football stat questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by melock, Sep 11, 2009.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

First, when finding an average on punts for a team what should be given for a blocked punt? Zero yards?

Second, when there is a holding penalty down field on a running play does the runner get credit for the yardage picked up to the point of the hold?

Thanks!

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Blocked punt goes as a Team attempt for 0 yards with the guy who blocked it getting credit for return yards to the point the ball is recovered. If the same guy who blocked it also recovers and runs for more, treat it like any other return.

Your assessment on the second question is correct.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thanks

4. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

Rather than starting another thread I'll post another stats question here.

On a hook-and-lateral play, how to you credit the yardage?

Is it a reception for X number of yards for the player who catches the ball AND a rushing attempt for the pitch man who gets it then runs some more?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

For example, if the reception is made 10 yards down the field, the QB and receiver get a 10-yard pass/catch. If the guy runs 66 yards for a TD, he gets a 66-yard rush.

6. Strange as it may sound, I don't think you give a rushing attempt to the guy who ran it. He gets credit for the yardage, but it goes under receiving yards. He also doesn't get credit for a reception, just the yardage. The QB gets credit for the entire yardage. At least that's the way I interpret the NCAA stat manual, which by the way you can get here: http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2008%20Football%20Stats%20Manual.pdf.

Section 4 deals with laterals.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You're probably right. I just know he doesn't get a catch. I guess it goes as zero catches for 66 yards or whatever.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes, the pitch man gets receiving yards. So yea, if he doesn't make another catch in the game, the boxscore reads Smith 0-66.

It's only one play from scrimmage, which is why you can't have both a rush and a reception.

9. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

OK...another one that I need reminding of...a holding call upfield occurs, you allow the ballcarrier the yardage to the flag. If the hold is at or behind the line of scrimmage, the penalty yards are assessed from the point of the flag and the yardage from the line of scrimmage counts as the penalty yardage. There is no carry credited.

Right?

And on an option pitch beyond the line of scrimmage. Second carrier gets the yardage but no carry, right?

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

In HS football, on a sack, do the yards go against the QB as a rushing attempt, or just on a team's total yardage loss?

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Attempt and negative rushing yards for the QB.

Only in the NFL do sacks not count as individual yardage (and are deducted as passing yardage).

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The answer to your first question is correct. If a hold happens 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on first-and-10 it will then be first-and-23 with 13 yards in penalties.

Draft saved Draft deleted