1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two exceptional opportunities in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Oct 10, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I have no interest in covering baseball. Editing content? That I can do. And I'll tell you this, having moved online and into a business where I'm literally surrounded by sales and marketing and ad ops people ... I miss the hell out of an actual newsroom.

2. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

For us young guns out here can you elaborate on how brutal covering a pro baseball beat is? I've covered a few pro games this year, not on a beat, but I haven't lost that "wow" factor yet.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A 162-game regular season, plus spring training, and that's just for starters. You're not just showing up an hour before first pitch, either. Plus, the food will kill you.

4. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

So basically my wife would divorce me well before the all-star break...

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Nobody actually does 162 games, right? The papers that travel have backup/sidebar writers and/or bag trips on the other coast.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd say primary beat folks do at least 140.

They get far fewer off-days than the players.

And I wish I had a prayer in hell of getting the content editor job. No dice.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Varies. Some hand off one long road trip. At my stops, beat guy preferred being on the road and handing off a few home games. Course, beat guy still showed up for those home games.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My experience is beat guys typically do about 125 or 130. All the road games, with the exception of maybe having a backup take one trip. Half of the home games. It also varies depending on how good the team is. No days off in September if the team is in the race.

Spring training youd normally do all 6 weeks, with a 4- or 5-day break in the middle.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

anyone know more about the content job? It seems clear it could be a very good job. Is this the No. 2 spot?

11. If you lose that ring, more time for tricks to do they thing. Yessur!

B-More is a good spot. Homeboys tell me nothin' but good 'bout The Sun.

Get on that, tho. Watch out, 'cause the wire is real.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- it's more like a slot editor/source editor position. The Sun has a universal copy desk, so the content editors are the people who are in charge of news decisions and overseeing things to make sure things are done correctly and maybe approving pages and such. I don't know for sure, but I believe this type of position would include working nights.

Eck also worked with the columnists, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted