1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two don't have to qualify for KY state golf tourney, everyone else does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My state does that. They designate a couple of tournaments each year as "regional qualifiers" where scoring below a certain number or finishing above a certain mark qualifies you.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Top 2 teams and top 3 individuals not on those 2 teams move on from region to state. There are usually playoffs, starting on hole 1, to break the ties.

Cross country is similar to golf, meaning XX teams and XX individuals qualify at regions for State.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hope golf is the only sport where that happens.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why? Every state I've ever heard of, swimming doesn't even have a set qualifying date. Meeting a certain standard at any meet during the year qualifies you. What's wrong with other individual sports doing something similar?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Can anyone tell me how this differs from the rules in Vermont?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just sure this is great fodder for the ton's of reporters covering the prep golf beat. Many a night spent at the bar debating the hand-wringing the state association went through to make its decision.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

In Kansas, they would have had to choose junior Ryder Cup or the school team. They can't do both in season. And if they had, there would have been some sort of sanction for the players or the team along the lines of "You played in two non-sanctioned tournaments, so you get held out of two KSHSAA-sanctioned tournaments."

And if it had been the same weekend as regionals or state, they most likely would have been disqualified from either or both.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas plays golf in fall and spring, but holds its championship in the spring only.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

WTF?

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Same with New York. Boys in the fall, girls in the Spring.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Opposite in Kansas. Girls golf, girls tennis, boys soccer in fall. Boys golf, boys tennis, girls soccer in the spring.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fall golf is more of a silly season. There are tournaments but no district competition.

Texas also plays tennis in fall and spring. Team tennis in fall, individual in spring.

Oklahoma plays softball in the fall and spring: fastpitch in the fall and slowpitch in the spring. And in Class A and B, teams play fall baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted