1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two days in Montreal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Aug 2, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What do I want to see and do? A friend says I need to have lunch at Dunn's, but that's the extent of the personal recommendations I have. Is the old Jarry Park still there?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I recommend Dunn's on Metcalfe, Schwartz's is a great place too. I have never had a bad time at McLean's Irish Pub on Peel. Jarry Park is now a tennis facility where they hold the Montreal stop of the Canadian Open.

3. If you're a "wanderer", stroll through "Old Montreal", down by the river
    Walk through McGill university campus -- beautiful with lots of history
    Walk up and around Mount Royal

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Yes to all of the above. Also fun to wander down rue Prince-Arthur and choose one of the many restaurants. They all allow you to bring your own wine in if you like.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Take in an Expos game at Olympic.

6. azom

azom Member

I was just there at the end of June and Old Montreal/Mount Royal walks were by far the highlights. The botanical gardens by the Olympic Stadium was cool but a bit pricey.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Haven't been since 1990, but Old Montreal and the flea market are nice. A lot of the facilities from the Olympics are still up. Wasn't old Jarry Park converted for the tennis tournament? There was also a huge cathedreal downtown, if that's your thing.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Groucho Marx lost his virginity to a hooker in Montreal.

Carry on.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Well, getting screwed in Montreal is kind of a thing.

[​IMG]

Batman likes this.
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder which Hebner twin did him in.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Bumping this old thread since I was in Montreal for a conference last week. Dunn's was awesome. I ordered the Reuben Poutine, which I thought would be two separate things. Nope, all mixed in together, minus the bread. Damn good.
    I absolutely loved the city. Had a dinner at Les Bris(??) Tuesday, then Flyjin on Wednesday. Three days wasn't nearly enough, I want to go back for longer.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I've never been to Montreal. One day, though, no matter how many strings I have to pull, I'm going to have a woman feed me tea and oranges down by the river there.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted