1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two completely different features on one brand of headphones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

ESPN The Magazine and Gizmodo decided this week to keep them bells ringin' with long-form stories on Beats by Dre. The approaches were completely different, but the subject matter was the same.

"Speakerheads" by J. Freedom du Lac: http://es.pn/125WGl5

"Beat By Dre" by Sam Biddle: http://bit.ly/125WN08

What worked about each? The Gizmodo feature clashes with major background details in the ESPN feature. They even attribute the same, almost assurdely fictitious, 2006 quote to different people. What should we take from that? Is it possible to read both and like both with so many clashes?
  2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Haven't read either yet, but as far as discrepancies, was the Gizmodo piece fact checked? I'm not familiar with Gawker's policy on features. Maybe it was. But I know the Mag piece would have been.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I probably have earbuds in for 4-5 hours a day, but I cannot imagine paying $200 plus for headphones... I'm not surprised that they're popular with millionaire athletes who either get them for free or can afford them, but it blows my mind when I see teenagers walking around with them.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I see people wearing those things in the gym, which makes no sense.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The issues weren't about the commonly available facts. The Gizmodo feature included embedded confidential documents showing Monster's role in developing the headphones. The ESPN The Magazine feature repeated Jimmy Iovine's version of the facts, which also was described in the Gizmodo piece.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Was just typing that. The ESPN: The Magazine article was a puff piece and a victory for flackery. There were a lot of sins of omission there, to the point that the article's not even half of the story that the public already knows. Maybe that was the price the writer thought he had to pay for access.

Not related to the article, Beats headphones are bass-heavy junk. Keep shopping.
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't understand why anyone would wear regular headphones when earbuds exist...

I've tried the beats Earbuds... They're noticeably better than the Sony ones that I have, but they're also 6-8 times the price.
  8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Everyone's ears are different, Mizzou. For me, earbuds are extremely uncomfortable because of the size and shape of my ear canals.
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shinshi shinshi?
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I use JBuds (I think that's the brand), which come with several different sizes of earbuds. Cheap, too. I think I paid like $6 for my last set.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Apple's new "directional" earbuds are the best I've used. If only the remote recognized my old iPod ...

But I'm somewhat infatuated with the headphones from California Headphone Company. They'd be handy on a plane or something, made of metal and leather and they're tuned for guitars and vocals.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excuse me while I add Beats By Dre to the pop culture blind spot thread.
Draft saved Draft deleted