1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two college beat positions in Toledo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

Back on point ... any idea on the status of these jobs?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good suggestions. My first stop in doing my research was the phone book for the local bait and tackle shop, but there's none in this county, and I don't think the clerk at WalMart will have the kind of information I'd need. The next was the state fish and game web site, since I know in some states they post fishing conditions and plantings, but this isn't one of them. And I definitely don't have the time to call every little fishing hole within 200 miles of here for info, like our competitors do.

3. accguy

accguy Member

At the risk of sounding like the angry old man here, the newspaper has every right in the world to want people with a couple of years of experience for these jobs.

The Blade (where I've never worked nor do I have friends there) is not Podunk. It has a pretty decent circulation. It is in decent-sized city. They are well within their rights to not want to do on-the-job training with a fresh kid right out of j-school.

A kid right out of school is going to make more mistakes than someone with a couple of years of experience. I'm not talking misspellings or factual errors or crimes against grammar, I'm talking about learning things about handling yourself on a beat. When do you push hard? When should you back off for one day? How do you balance the relationships with people you cover? How do you know when people are lying to you? All of that stuff comes from doing. And you don't get that from J-school or working on the school paper. That stuff is a good start, but it isn't the same.

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

More than 300 applications.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I would think they're being sifted through at this point... :)

6. 35in44

35in44 Member

One of the shifts has happened here. Ryan Autullo, who was covering Michigan for the Blade, moved to the Toledo beat. So I guess that means both Michigan & Ohio State are open.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Any word on this one yet?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This was two weeks ago, but like Buckeye pointed out I was told by Frank Corsoe (the editor) that they'd gotten 325 applicants. That's all I know at this point. I wasn't among the ones selected, but good luck to those that went through the process.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Both positions have been filled and they will start in the next few weeks. It's been announced to the staff, but I am not sure if it's been announced publicly.

10. I know Rachael Lenzi formerly of the Portland Press Herald (Maine) will be taking the Michigan beat

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT IS AWESOME FOR RACHEL. That makes me very happy. Especially since I like the Wolverines. :D

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

All of a sudden...I like you less IJAG.

Sparty On!

Draft saved Draft deleted