1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two college beat positions in Toledo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

Everything I've seen lately, if any salary is posted, is 20-25k. That's what I've come to expect, so to see 35k, even if I can't take the job, is encouraging to me.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most of the jobs posted here that include salary range are at very small shops. They're expecting mostly entry-level candidates and don't want to be bogged down by people with great resumes expecting more than $30,000 a year (which is more than reasonable for the amount of work expected at those places). Bigger places don't list salary because it's generally commensurate with experience.

I'm surprised that the pay difference for a Big Ten beat writer and a MAC beat writer is, as listed, at most $5,000, but I suppose they don't really expect a news hawk breaking all the big stories on the Ohio State beat in Toledo.

3. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Spikechiquet could probably say for sure, but I do believe the new hires are on a different pay scale than previous hirees because of recent guild concessions.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You would be correct in your assumptions.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So I couldn't be considered because I don't have a four-year degree but I'm entering my 30th year at a mid-sized daily? Uh ... OK.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do we have to get in this same tired discussion of whether you need a degree to get a job? Apply and see what happens. But those without four-year degrees are a small minority in the business.

Congrats on bucking the trend and showing you don't need to have a degree. I hope you believe the route you took would work now, though.

7. TwoGloves

Don't want the job, don't need it. And it doesn't matter whether the route would work for me now. But I find it funny that chemistry, psychology and other classes are more important than 29-plus years on the job to some people.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

In the not-too-distant past, The Blade had the highest pay scale compared to cost of living in the country. They called it the "golden handcuffs," because if you ever left, it would almost invariably involve a pay cut.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's also hillarious papers want those who took classes involving media law, public relations, and political science.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and English. Perish the thought. But I'm sure someone with 30 years of experience would be considered.

11. TwoGloves

Hey, take a deep breath. I never said school was totally useless or overrated. I just never finished because I was already working and couldn't manage to do both. But if you're saying that a degree is better than four years at a daily you're freaking insane in virtually every case.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

I think it's ridiculous that you have to have two years experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted