1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Charlotte Observer jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike_Persinger, May 12, 2006.

1. X2

X2 New Member

Anything new here? Did they fill the other designer spot? The copy editor spot? The editor spot?

2. No offers out on any of those jobs yet. Still interviewing people.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Have they proved how much they know from their critiques? That's the part I'm interested in.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Ran across this early today on the Greensboro web site:

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/jrblog/archives/2006/08/we_knew_this_wo.html

Looks like one of the two jobs was filled by a designer up I-85.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I thought for certain DyePack was going to get one of these ones.

6. Just an update:
    As some of you have discovered, we hired Doug Harris of the Greensboro News and Record as a sports designer. He started this week.
    We've also hired a night sports editor, Steve Salazar of the Dallas Morning News. He'll start Oct. 1.
    One copy editing and design combo job will be filled internally. That leaves one job, for an experienced copy editor. I've got permission to fill that one, and I'm still hoping to get permission on another copy editing job, so I'll be recruiting for a while. If you haven't sent stuff and you want to, please do.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mike,

What about hiring DyePack for the copy editing job then turn it into a full-time design position.
    We could maybe take up a collection to make it worth your while.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He has to have the spine to send the critiques first.

9. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

Any idea what this "experienced" copy editor can expect to make ...

10. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Damn you, Charlotte Observer! (shakes fist)

Seriously, Mike, y'all will like Doug. He did some great work for us. He also understands NASCAR - that's a bonus, considering your place in the racin' world. Good luck with all the hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted