1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Charlotte Observer jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike_Persinger, May 12, 2006.

1. Sorry, boots. Guess I should have just left you in the dark about what's going on. If there's something specific that rubbed you wrong, PM me and we'll discuss it. I can assure you, as can anyone who's ever worked for me, that arrogance isn't part of my game.

2. X2

X2 New Member

Who did you hire?

3. Lisa Pazdric, from Elgin, Ill.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Should I be expecting that paper any time soon? I'd like to find out "what I know."

5. 51_Cent

51_Cent Member

Anyone who spends her off day cutting out a pumpkin for a tab cover is cool in my book.

[​IMG]

6. Dye, if you took that statement as a negative, I'm sorry. I got more than 70 resumes for these openings. Sending out 70 critique requests would have been the easy way, but I figured I'd start with people who seemed to me -- and it's obviously subjective -- to be the most qualified. It's probably a good eight hours of work, maybe more, to do a critique the right way. That's a lot of time to spend, so I'd like to make it worth people's time to do the work.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Oh. So there's a subjective hurdle to jump over, and then the all-important critique to find out "what I know."

8. I'd say there's a subjective hurdle for any job opening, Dye. If there wasn't, we wouldn't require resumes. If you get more than one resume for one job, there's got to be some subjective measure in a creative industry like this one, don't you think?

Hiring is not an exact science, to be sure. But a newspaper is only as good as the people working there, so hiring is perhaps the most important thing a manager does.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Exactly. So when will newspapers start treating it that way?

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Back on topic! Back on topic! Good to see McClatchy coming through for the Observer.

Now if a reporting position or two opens up... ;D

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Mike, please ignore him.
    On another note, Denny did a good job w/ his Marshall shit.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's just astounding that a sports editor of a solid paper can come in here under his own name, be as honest and forthcoming as possible about his hiring process, and still get a handful of sh*t from the anonymous masses. Like someone said earlier, not many SE's do. And not many will in the future if this is the kind of reception they get.

And no, I don't know Mike. Never lived in Charlotte. And I'm not a candidate for his jobs.

Rant over.

Draft saved Draft deleted