1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two cancelled subscriptions in one week because of me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 11, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Just do your job to the best of your ability. Don't take it personally.

You know you're not going to be all things to all people. Anyone with half a brain knows it. If you're doing your best, that should be good enough.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That, right there, is one sentence which should be placed, poster form, in every sports department in America. Just as a reminder.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

I wasn't suggesting one make wholesale changes because of two people, and I'm guilty of the "Fuck 'em" rhetoric as well, so I didn't mean to come off as holier-than-thou.

But I do think its an attitude of "We know best ... ' that can be a problem in newsrooms. And I think its an attitude that contrasts with the complaints that the "higher-ups" are screwing everything up.

I think I saw a poll once that suggested journalists were ranked near the bottom in terms of respect. That's not the fault of bean-counters.
    That's the fault of people like you and me who do the job and I think that's worth examining.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's really the fault of blowhards on the radio/TV who do no actual newsgathering themselves but earn a good living by whipping people into a frenzy. We live in an angry society and directing one's anger at us is a reasonably safe way for them to vent. And they like to suggest, for instance, that a rejection of liberal bias is the cause of the newspaper industry's struggles, but then we see conservative newspapers faring no better than so-called liberal ones.

Market research, while flawed, is at least more scientific than angry calls. If a newspaper is going to be guided by anything other than its own common sense, research should be the thing. I don't believe it's head-in-the-sand to blow off most of the individual daily feedback. But it accomplishes nothing to be impolite about it.

I remember when the publisher David Lawrence was leaving Detroit to become publisher in Miami, the Freep published a cartoon of him sitting amid smoldering ruins, typing. The caption read: "Dear ----: Only a reader who truly cared about The Free Press would take the time and effort to send a letter bomb ..."

Newspapers can humor the kooks, but shouldn't be guided by them.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I agree with you on that count.

We must at least accept part of the blame for the way we're looked upon by the public.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"We must at least accept part of the blame for the way we're looked upon by the public."

The same public that thinks sports stars should be demonized if they don't sign an autograph for their kid? The same public who are convinced they know better than their doctors because they spent two minutes googling?

I'll pass on that blame.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You mean to tell me you don't know some smarmy columnists out there? And you don't know journalists who think they're smarter than everyone they cover?

That must be a really nice corner of the journalistic world.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Knowing a few jerks in a profession and accepting blame on behalf of the entire profession for its public image aren't remotely the same thing.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It sounds like you do a great job of covering youth sports. Hopefully management will listen to you and back you if they call you on it. I don't think I'd call the angry customers either. If they call you, fine. Talk to 'em. Good luck. You sound like you are running more than enough on youths.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That is good advice.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You will never satisfy everyone all of the time.

The sooner one comes to grips with this, the easier it will be to accept facts such as two subscriptions lost and move on.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You think the subscribers are dropping for economic reasons, and are just too proud to admit that's why they're cutting back?

Much easier to tell somebody in circulation that you're dropping the paper because sports didn't cover the unassisted triple play your 4-year-old made in tee ball than to tell somebody you can't afford your mortgage any longer, much less a newspaper subscription.

Draft saved Draft deleted