1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Atheltes Two Soldiers by Jack McCallum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone read the story in SI this week? Beautifully written by SI senior writer Jack McCallum. Room got dusty real fast.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For those wishing to read it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/10/17/soldiers1022/index.html

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

'Twas excellent.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet. I'm sure its quality stuff. But I was wondering about stories of organ-transplants, people dying tragically, basic human interest stuff creeping into sports pages. You'd think only people connected to sports donate organs or get cancer. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I see a lot of this stuff on tv and in print and I sometimes wonder if there isn't a postal carrier or supermarket clerk going through the same stuff.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm all for humanizing sports pages more. After all, the best stories are about the people, not the games they play. I understand your point that non-athletes have great stories, too, but getting those into the paper is the job of editors on the news side. Sports shouldn't dial it back on human interest; news should pick up the pace, IMO.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This story isn't about organ transplants.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree, but sometimes I get the impression that tragedies that befall people in sports are treated as being more tragic by the media.

And I was just speaking generally of stories in sports about off-field stuff that may not directly translate to what is happening on the field. Good stories that would still be good stories even if no mention of a sports connection was made.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, there are a lot of meetings to cover.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

There are some great details in this story.
    This was one of my favorite graphs:

Excellent example of how to tell two stories then combine them to show a common theme.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said. Pretty much sums up premise of story - 2 young athletes, 2 wars , both tragically killed at 18. Very sobering story that absolutely has a place in SI

Draft saved Draft deleted