1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two African-American coaches in the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Nothing like having a storyline completely beaten to bloody pulp come Super Bowl week.

IMO, Super Bowl week is an embarassing week to be a journalist.

2007: How long have you been a black coach?
    2006: Jerome Bettis has a nice family!
    2005: Oh my god! Will T.O. play?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    2004: He Hate Me is funny!

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

First of all, the "how long have you been a black quarterback" question was taken out of context. The person who asked said something like... when did you go from being a black quarterback to just a quarterback. It wasn't the simple, stupid question which the urban legend has become.

The lede paragraph about Jesse Jackson seemed a bit much until you read the story and see the issue about the coach of Colorado.

It is a big story, but my guess is one or both coaches is going to say something like... "Yeah, it is a milestone and I'm proud, but now we have to move on and get ready for the game. Neither one of us wants to be the first black coach to lose a Super Bowl."

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. I mean, when Smith watches Dungy's team in the wild card week, that's unique for any NFL coach with games to play to do.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Black to the future

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

SIDEBAR:

MIAMI--Petyon Manning, quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts, and the his counterpart, Chicago Bears' Rex Grossman, are white.

6. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Does that mean the Denver Post uses the headline "White Power?"

7. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

So, how long will it be before there's two black college football coaches in the championship?
    And, say if this were the NBA or even Major league baseball, would it be that big of deal?
    Why is it when it comes to black coaches and football, people make a bigger deal out of it then other sports?
    Willie Randolph was in the NLCS and no one made any reference that he could be the "first" I don't know if he would be, black manager in the world series.
    I want to see a black hockey coach win the stanley cup. now THAT'd be a story!

8. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Obviously he wouldn't be. How could I forget the Giants-Angels series? 2 west coast teams for once!
    So Dusty Baker was in the series back in 2002. But I don't remember people making a big deal out of it when he was in it.
    Was there someone before him?

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Grant Fuhr won a few Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers.

10. Kable

Kable Member

"Do you love the black man?"

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People don't make as big a deal of any social issue in football, whether its coaches breaking color barriers or steroids. It's only a big deal now because football has historically been slow in this area. MLB had its first black manager (Frank Robinson) in 1975 and Cito Gasten won a couple of World Series in the '90s, so it wouldn't register in baseball at all. Meanwhile, it took the NFL until 1990, I believe, when Art Shell took over as head coach for the Raiders. The next big deal in baseball will be when there's a black owner. Of course, none of us will be alive, but it's something to dream about.

12. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Hey if Robert Johnson, the founder of the BET network, can own the Charlotte Bobcats in the NBA, it could happen in baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted