1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

twitting/tweeting from a funeral service...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jul 22, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And six months after that situation, the paper was 6 feet under. It was dumb then, it's dumb now.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

so, you 'hate' that readers have an opinion about how you write/report and question the ethics or taste in how you've gone about it? you don't think this can have an impact on your paper or the way in which readers view you? sheeesh. the thing i love about boston is that it's a 'newspaper town' (as much as any is these days) in that boston fans not only read the herald/globe sports sections but devour them. probably more than anyplace else, reporters like ian have almost a celebrity status. the fans there are more aware of the bylines than anyplace else i know. so if you 'hate' when readers chime in on journo issues, i suggest you never apply for a job in new england.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ian is an excellent provocateur who has parlayed this talent quite successfully. Good for him.

4. Ian is certainly more than just a provocateur. He's a terrific journalist who has worked hard and covered every beat he's been on with energy. I hope his willingness to stand up to big-name coaches, players and executives is only part of why you chimed in with what reads like a back-handed compliment.

Were yesterday's tweets an ethical gray area? Absolutely. I'm sure Ian realized this before, during and after. But in some cases these days, this is the job. The Boston Herald covers every step the Patriots make, good, bad or ugly. If I were asked to do something like this, I probably would've done it, even if I felt yucky in the process.

Yes, I know Ian, and I'm sure yesterday wasn't the proudest day of his career, whether this thread existed or not.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its not a newspaper town. How many people bought the Herald before or after they called 98.5 to offer their thoughts on "journalistic ethics."?

If fans or readers have an issue with me or Ian, they can email me or Ian. I dont see what Mike Felger or Chris Gasper's opinion has to do with anything. Its taking an industry discussion to the airwaves when IMHO 95% of the listeners don't have a clue or care. Why do we need 2 online columnists and one former reporter commenting about how another reporter chooses to do his job? Not to mention the obvious but unmentioned bias in that the Globe pays Mazz and Gasper and the guy they're discussing works for the Herald.

And I do have a job in New England.

Draft saved Draft deleted