1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

twitting/tweeting from a funeral service...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jul 22, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

yea or nay? or, in this case, kosher or non-kosher?: the boston herald's ian rappaport voted yea/kosher today from the temple service for myra kraft, beloved wife of patriots owner robert kraft. i know first-hand what a lovely lady she was -- kind, generous, everything you'd want in a team's matriarch...

but is tweeting, twitting re: her funeral service acceptaple? ian says he didn't actually 'tweet' DURING the temple service, only before and after. but, c'mon. i'm totally down with the new technology and social networking use for journalists. but shouldn't it be limited to 'breaking news' you feel you MUST get out there first? this surely wasn't that. what, this couldn't wait the 30 minutes it takes t pound out, you know, the story?

interested in everyone's take, especially since thise whole twitting/tweeting thing is foreign to me. i'm soooo happy i missed out on it.

http://twitter.com/#!/rapsheet

glad i'm not the one who has to live with the fact this is what my career has been reduced to. fwiw, ian primarily responded with a 'it's my job' defense. then returned home for a looooong shower, i'd guess.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: ian rapport twits-tweets-whatever...

It depends what he tweeted. I can't access twitter at work, so I don't know what he wrote.

If he did it during the service, that would be really bad.

If he was tweeting about who was there and stuff like that, there's nothing wrong with that. He's just reporting news.

But I agree with you, I'm glad I was never in a position to decide what was acceptable and what was not...

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

Re: ian rapport twits-tweets-whatever...

Why should Twitter be limited to breaking news?

Is your issue with it a debate about whether or not she's a public figure? Surely you wouldn't have any trouble with the same coverage of, say, a President's funeral or something. If so, why?

It's not like he was snapping photos of the casket or something. That would obviously cross the line. For me, tweeting before and after the service about all the memories shared of her life and who all was there is par for the course. The only thing I would say gave me pause is that it seems like he may have tweeted from the house of worship. I know different places vary, but I would give great consideration before I whipped out my cell phone in any sort of sacred place.

4. Mizzougrad96

If you're sitting in a funeral and typing into a Blackberry, that's classless.

It's pretty clear Ian was not doing that.

5. T&C

T&C Member

I was at a funeral for a well-known local sports figure and businessman yesterday. Now that I think about it I didn't see one person with their phone out. And that was in the church and right outisde. Tweeting during a service or standing there right oustide texting or speaking on the phone while people are still exiting the chitrch or funeral home would be IMO very tasteless.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Does anybody remember when this came up with the Denver Post or maybe even the Rocky several years ago, tweeting the funeral of a young child? It was a huge deal at the time. Still a discussion now, but I'm thinking the outrage factor has been reduced with the growth of Twitter as a reporting tool.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, he claims it wasn't during the service, just prior to and after. unclear if he did it in the temple itself, or a lobby, or his car. and certainly nothing he tweeted was in any way disrespectful. just that he felt the need too do it, the demand to do it, just leaves me feeling dirty.

a public figure? i suppose. but i put mysrelf in ian's shoes as someone who has 'covered' the funerals of the late leon hess and wellington mara. and am proud to report that, if my editor told me to 'tweet' the particulars asap so our readers could feel up-to-speed on the attendees, i'd have declined to do so.

but, as i said, maybe that's just me. that's why i asked the class. i'm anxious to hear more of an explanation regarding the details -- where did he tweet from, primarily, i suppose. and yes, it is newsworthy, and there surely was a mobof reporters in attendance hoping to get commissioner goodell, demaurice, any player rep or owners, outside the temple to speak to the news of the day.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Unless the deceased rises from the casket, thus creating actual news, there is zero reason--zero--to tweet during a funeral service. Just a vile thing to do. What possible 'right to know' exists among those on the receiving end of those tweets?

Before and after, outside the church or synagogue, that's different.

9. Mizzougrad96

Can someone post what he tweeted?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60975/

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nothing remotely disrespectful. Before the service he tweeted about who was there, and after he tweeted about what people said. Much ado about nothing.

I assume this became an "issue" because a few of his early tweets read like he was live-tweeting the funeral, but he wasn't. It hadn't started yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted