1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter's conversation bubble

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Nov 14, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Same here, but instead of using the handle the paper told me to use a hashtag. So, it would be something like: 31-17 Boston leads New York at halftime in NY #PrepScoresNY ...apparently it gets the paper big results, as high school coverage is the county's biggest draw.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I use it mostly to tweet scores and push links to previews and features. Lately I've started tweeting one or two things out of weekly football press avails which I've seen other writers do.
    SE at a competing paper seems to use it mostly to flirt with volleyball players.
    Sadly he has more followers.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

At my trade, we autopost everything when it posts to the site (we're a weekly, but have some daily updates). Then we monitor traffic, and we'll repost stories that are doing well, but with a new, personal tweet with something different.

And then we'll ALSO post some stuff to items of interest that might not be on our own site, post some older stories if the subjects are back in the news, and reply to EVERYONE who talks to us. While we try to push our stories, experience shows that if we never respond to people, or only push our own stuff, people won't trust us or like us enough to click on the stuff we want them to click on for our site.

Also, another thing with Twitter -- maybe it's because we're a trade, but we get much more Twitter traffic from a site that is NOT Twitter. It comes from LinkedIn, from people who have aggregated their own Twitter feeds with their LinkedIn presences.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The local rag has a Black Friday Twitter widget set up on the homepage using a hashtag.

The funny part are the posts who think it's great the paper set up a feed, but when you click on their profile, they are reporters from the same paper. The hashtag had about 10 posts throughout the night.

I felt bad for the graduate student intern at the local rag who had to go to stores and tweet. It's a lesson that Twitter does not always make for even halfway decent journalism.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

WSJ ran a piece on corporate Twitter strategies? Is it really worth that much money to post and comment? I look at DirecTV Facebook page and it's mainly the same people complaining.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052970204319004577086140865075800.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Draft saved Draft deleted