1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twittering games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Sep 2, 2009.

1. And I must not have been reading it right, because doing so was like biting into a de-salted Saltine. Nothing happening. Moved on and haven't looked back.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Twitter us only as good as who you follow. If follow the right people, it's great. If not, it sucks.

3. I think Twitter might be the worst invention since HDTV, and as has been established on here, I'm a man who hates HDTV.

4. bwright

bwright Member

Really? What's there to hate?

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Twittering is one thing. Twittering while also doing a Webcast is quite another.

6. Faithless

Faithless Member

I used Facebook to give updates on a game I attended last night.

I'm a former sports scribe who decided to watch my suburban town's high school team at its rival in a nearby town. At halftime I made my way to the film crew box on the visitors' side to visit with the local access TV broadcasting crew. I wound up staying in the booth the second half.

Using my Blackberry, I snapped a photo of game action early in the third quarter and posted it on Facebook. In a couple of minutes, three women posted responses under the photo wanting to know the score and more game info. I continued to give game updates throughout the second half, and others followed up with their messages. All who replied were women from the same town where I live; they stayed home with their small kids or they didn't want to fool with the game traffic/crowd, so they logged into Facebook and became interested in the game once they saw the photo.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just last night a colleague of mine was tweeting constantly from a top 25 team's football game. The SID tweeted back to him that the game was on national TV, so he didn't need to giving play by play. He didn't order him to stop, but it was a suggestion that what he was doing was "bad."

9. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Heard something similar in my area of the country. College beat guy was given a very hard time by SID about the amount of twittering he was doing with a "you're missing a good game" thrown in.

10. Babs

Babs Member

I tried twittering during a game and it was too distracting. I don't plan to keep doing it. In fact, I don't like twitter much even to read. I like thoughts to be more fleshed out. I may have the opposite of ADHD.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

TWEET

12. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I'm no twit, I don't tweet.

Draft saved Draft deleted