1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'm not sure I understand what he's getting at. Is that the entire post? Could you give a link?

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

AMac, I bow to your knowledge of Twitter, but your specific example? You don't have service as wretched as Barney's without it being a deliberate ploy to exploit the moneyed and insecure.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Sigh ... it was a name I pulled out of my ass, don't overanalyze it. It probably makes more sense to people than for me to say 'The Bay,' which was the only major brand I could think of.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

One thing I have been continually remiss in mentioning ... because you are limited to a 140-character post, most URLs are difficult to link because of their length.

There are several free, web-based services available to shorten the length of a URL.

I started off with www.tinyurl.com but have moved onto the even shorter www.is.gd

There are others but IS.GD is my go-to.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/kausfiles/archive/2009/03/25/kf-s-bs-detector-explodes.aspx

Scroll down one.
    I put the entire post in quotes, so that's it. He did have some strike-thru's and bolds, I didn't replicate the post entirely correctly. My apologies.
    Since I don't know much about the twitter, I was wondering if the conspiracy theory had any legs. My point, not that I really have one, is that a whole lot of people started talking about twitter all at the same time. That doesn't mean that everyone of those people are getting a little cut of something, but it does seem odd, at least to me.
    Kaus just happened to put those thoughts into words.

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Like many tools of the internet (think Facebook), there was a period where it was an exclusive club (known as 'early adopters'). As many, especially those in the marketing and communications business, start to recognize its usefulness, there is typically an explosion of users.

Twitter is quickly reaching its critical mass and many early adopters are watching the trends and waiting for the next cool thing so they can spread their wings and act like they're the shit wherever that is.

So, I don't think it's a marketing conspiracy so much as it is a tool which very much lends itself toward the individual's desperate cry to be heard.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Update: The aforementioned #journchat is 7-10 p.m. Central. Please join us. We're often PR pro heavy, and not enough journalists.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Buncha Tweeps in here.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Heard on the radio today that a lot of the so-called celebrities who are doing the Twitter thing are actually using ghost writers. Does that impact how anyone thinks about this service?

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Nope.

Most quotes in a press release aren't written by the person who says them. Does that make you think less of the usefulness of press releases?

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

See, this is my thing (and I hope I don't offend anyone, because it's not directed at anyone specifically on this site). Will the next big thing get here before many of us even have to use Twitter, and if so, will the next big thing after that get here before our companies adapt to it? Are we just hopping from lilypad to lilypad, never leaving the same swamp, and never really getting anywhere? Probably not, but it seems like one day you hear about something, then the next day someone is telling you if you're not using it, you're out of the loop, not part of the action, and you're not a player.

I guess by the time you wait to see if something is here for the long haul (and nobody, despite what many think, can say if it will or won't be), you're already one of the dinosaurs. Isn't this to an extent part of the instant-gratification society that brought us Enron-type bookkeeping and "profits" based on perception and projections rather than reality? Sometimes I think we are in a race to a place we can't even name.

12. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Yes. It means it's bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted