1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I'm now following a whole bunch of people I've never met. Now I know some woman I've never met who lives a thousand miles away went to a concert of a band that I've never heard of, and she had a great time.

What would I do without Twitter?

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Smokey -- Twitter can be as inefficient as you allow it to be. It's easy to add and subtract people from the list of twitters you follow. If somebody posts too much, or gets too annoying, just drop them -- you can always add them back later if you find they have good stuff to say.

I've really started to incorporate Twitter into my daily search for new information about my beat -- maybe not as helpful as Google Alerts, but a pretty good way to find out what people are saying about the key people I cover. It's one more tool to make it harder for you to miss things you want to keep track of ...

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One publication puts it this way:

Your business suit - LinkedIn

Features:
    • Resume
    • Work history
    • Skills
    • Education
    • Work and social contacts

Your business casual - Facebook

Features:
    • Personal history
    • Education
    • Work experience
    • Interests
    • Activities
    • Photos
    • Personal and work contacts

The cocktail party - Twitter

Features:
    • Short bio
    • 140-character [or less] tweets [status updates]
    • Social, work and industry contacts [and strangers]

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/apr/06/why-you-need-tweet/

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't use that line enough in life. Not nearly enough.

Can I make a really late New Year's Resolution?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

No. This isn't a "new year's resolution" type thing. This is a lifetime commitment to reference Major League as much as possible.

Someone on the desk fucks up: "Come on, Dorn! Get in front of the damn ball."

Some team is doing poorly: "These guys don't look to fuckin' good."

Any reference to a person's death: "Cross ... him ... off ... then!"

Someone mentions a team that has sucked for the recent past: "I didn't know they still had a team." *only the best will reply to your line with: "Yeah, we have uniforms and everything. It's great."

A colleague spills something on his shirt: "What's the shit on your chest?" Again, only the best will reply: "Crisco. Bardol. Vagisil. Any one of 'em will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. 'Course if the umps are watching me real close I'll rub a little jalapeno up my nose, get it runnin', and if I need to load the ball up I just..."

What with the freaks and geeks in this world, just think of the endless possibilities of: "Look at this fuckin' guy."

One day at the TV station I used to work at, we had a local polisci prof. on to analyze an election. We're No. 3 in the market, but ... So we're live and his cell phone rings. He looks down and mutters, "God damn it."
    I was in the newsroom watching. I say, "You can't say god damn on the air. .... eh, nobody's watchin' anyways."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I needed that today. Thank you. Great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll be Twittering tomorrow since it's my bday and the Tribe's home opener and all. Follow me if you like: http://twitter.com/GodHatesCleSprt

Draft saved Draft deleted