1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JRoyal, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I get hits through Twitter that bring people to the site (and I have some free stuff). There's a brief tease to every story - I'm getting TONS of hits. Not getting a lot of subscriptions. But I'll swear on my grave that Twitter has helped me build the small base I do have.

Others just use it to link to stories. I don't subscribe to my old paper anymore (why, it's free?) and I don't scan the Web site. They use Facebook and Twitter and I just click on what interests me.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It is a top-10 referrer for our paper.

NY Times too!

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20090921/the-new-york-times-brought-to-you-literally-by-twitter/

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why do people who write for newspapers have to put in qualifiers like this person? This guy obviously hates twitter but he has to write "there's a legitimate use for twitter don't get me wrong."
    He puts that in there so he doesn't get fired. Cause all higher ups love twitter. The guy loses all credibility when he has to put in a qualifier. Just man up and write you hate twitter.

Look, twitter has one function: to link to stories. Anything else is b.s. and none of it makes the newspaper a dime anyway, because websites are not profitable.
    Fine, use it to link to stories, but making reporters tweet on there about things is just a waste of time.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

@Fredrick: Damn am I one bitter dude!

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't understand it and I don't think a lot of people are following it for us, but I'm doing it in case I get another job that wants me to. I text most of my stuff with in-game thoughts, so I'm having some fun with it.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Retweeting...

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

#truth

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Mp paper's Twitter feed is just links. No context. Here's an example "http://bit.ly/(something)"

That's all there is and if anyone thinks there is value in that, they are idiots.

Of course some of the "geniuses" at my paper think that allowing people to see newspaper ads on the Web just as they are in print would bring in tons of cash. This is off-topic, but the main problem with Web advertising in newspapers is that ads aren't relevant and offer no value. I need to know what I could save. Tell me about a sale or what you offer. Just a line ad online won't do it.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Stitch speaks the truth.

So does Fredrick. But this post was to praise Stitch. Stitch speaks the truth.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't blame Twitter, but I want to know how it helps the paper. Twitter's burning through cash as well.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I must be wrong about Twitter. This guy used it to get a job.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34368627/ns/business-careers/

Personally, I use Twitter, but it's a waste of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted