1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

In the past few days, I've familiarized myself with such wonderful web technologies as deli.icio.us, Flickr, MySpace, Facebook, Soundslides, Audacity, mobile phone alerts, etc., etc. I already had some familiarity with several of these.

And then there's Twitter. I signed up for it, and I've posted four or five messages. But I haven't the slightest clue what I'm actually doing. In fact, it appears that I'm just talking to myself. I can't imagine how this technology would be useful to anyone, much less to the news industry. Can someone fill me in?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

This should be fun.

Countdown to the first twatter joke in 3.........2............

3. Italian_Stallion

Why do I get the feeling nobody has the slightest clue what Twitter is?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Heelllllllloooooooo......

Is any...any.....anybody....body.....body.......out there.....there.....there......

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Nobody loves a Twitter.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I use Twitter. It's interesting.

Tuesday night, there was a pretty sweet setup using Twitter to track the primaries. They had a Google Map up & the Twitter messages would appear on the map where they were posted. I'm not sure what purpose it served but it was interesting.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I thought this thread was about Bobby Knight.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't even know what Twitter is.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Twitters never win and winners never twit.

10. Italian_Stallion

A lot going on with map technology and journalism these days. I understand that Twitter is also useful to give shout-outs about breaking news or just to advertise something. Of course, we already have instant messaging and e-mail.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

We experimented with Twitter to send text messages for National Signing Day to our readers. It was about a 28-step process to get a person hooked up to get them, so we scrapped it. It is an interesting idea, to be sure.

rb

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What, exactly, is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted