1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter reactions not representative of public opinion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The same way you can prove Pew (or other polling services) are legitimate.

Who are they calling? Are they spanning the entire spectrum of Americans for any particular issue they want opinions on?

Do they divulge a list for the people they contact for a poll? Do they explain the people on that poll? How do they know the people in that poll are giving honest, truthful answers/opinions? And so on and so on.

I would trust the underlying meaning of a tweet because after a while you start to understand the person behind their tweets. At least it's out there in the open for the world to see.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, I trust the underlying meaning of a tweet.

But a tweet is quite different than a collection of tweets purporting, at least impliedly, to represent public opinion.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Agrees.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...where credit is due. Pretty solid hammer

5. Songbird

Well, you'd have to explain that one being that I missed it. Did he pronounce some victory because of Twitter?

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Leitch wrote about this during the Olympics. 100 percent -- or so -- of people on Twitter hated the tape-delay. But the majority of the world was probably fine with it. Someone working at a job where they're not in front of a computer or a TV during the day is happy to come home at night and watch Michael Phelps win gold even if it happened six hours earlier.

7. Songbird

Sure, we read results on Twitter (and some of that no doubt spilled over to Facebook) but I still enjoyed watching the events later that night. It's one thing to read a result in real-time, another to be able to watch it too.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Exhibit No. 3,977,210 in "Journalists don't understand math."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Do you think lantaur is being sarcastic and you are chiding him because polls really are accurate?

Is he wrong on the actual number of Americans?

Help me out here.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Truly random, relatively small samples are highly accurate in representing much larger populations. It's counterintuitive to people who don't understand statistics, but it's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted